Author Topic: Skepchick returns  (Read 871 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Skepchick returns
« on: May 02, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
Hello Again! Skepchick is Back!

Hello, dear friends of the Skepchick community. As you’ve probably noticed, the past two years or so have been pretty quiet on here — just little old me, posting my YouTube video transcripts. At its height, Skepchick had dozens of writers across several different sister sites blogging about science, and critical thinking, and progressive values as they pertain to women, LGBTQI, parents, teens, and those in several non-English-speaking countries.

I was really proud of our team, but depression and anxiety and unavoidable life changes sneaked up on me. It’s a bit ironic, because I made it through the worst of the death threats and rape threats I got on a regular basis during “Elevatorgate.” Elevatorgate turned to Gamergate, which turned to #MeToo and now Comicsgate, and I suppose it just all caught up to me. The torrent of hate was no longer focused on me, and so I just sort of curled up and took a nap. I stopped managing the website, and views dropped off, and one by one the writers took my lead and stopped, too.

So instead of shutting Skepchick down, I decided to relaunch. I contacted our writers and many of them were excited to come back on. You can see the full list of them (thus far) here. You’ll once again see our daily Quickies, and you’ll be able to read voices other than mine.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Skepchick returns
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:50:48 PM »
This has made me so happy!

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
yay
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »
Wow, I had no idea it had gotten that bad for her. I know first hand how demoralizing those feelings can be. Your brain goes to some dark, dark places.

That said, peace, love, and power to the skepchicks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 02:47:49 AM »
AWESOME! Yay  :rebecca: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 07:22:59 AM »
I'm excited she's back, though it's pretty depressing to be reminded that the lot of many women in skepticism is mostly harassment and hate.  :'(

Glad she's standing up to the troll lawyer, too. I don't know the details of that specific harassment, but it seems with a lot of these harass-y lawyer types standing up to them makes them scurry away.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
Great news.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »
And there was much rejoicing.

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 07:18:00 AM »
I'm very glad.  :rebecca:
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
Good for her.

I was never a huge fan of hers, but always thought the hate (and other stuff) that got thrown at her was beyond insane. It was like they disregarded her humanity completely.
Sad to hear how bad things got for her. I looked up the Skepchick website some time ago and noted how little was there and wondered what happened to her.

Glad to hear she is getting back on the horse, hope she pays a visit to SGU.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »
There was some speculation about bad blood between her and the SGU as she never was a guest to the show after she quit. While I think she was very unhappy that they tried to get Richard Dawkins to NECSS afterwards, I think the bad condition she suffered afterward as described in the OP might be the main reason.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
I'm glad.  I've re-added it to my RSS reader.

I've never been a follower, as it were, as that I've disagreed with quite a lot.  However, at least a couple of times a week there was a very good article from a perspective I would normally not get.  I might not agree with its conclusions, but it was always appreciated.

That has me revisiting the elevator bullshit, but I really don't wanna.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 05:47:29 PM »
That has me revisiting the elevator bullshit, but I really don't wanna.

Let's not do that.

personate-rain
personate-rain