Author Topic: 5G cell phones weapons  (Read 672 times)

Offline Groomporter

• Brand New
5G cell phones weapons
« on: May 03, 2019, 11:39:33 AM »
Looking for good links to use to explain without jargon to a non-science based family member that 5G cell phones or 5G smart devices are not capable of being weaponized in the way she's afraid.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: 5G cell phones weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »
Looking for good links to use to explain without jargon to a non-science based family member that 5G cell phones or 5G smart devices are not capable of being weaponized in the way she's afraid.

It all depends on what specific kind of device you're talking about, and what you mean by "weaponized."

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »
I think what you need first is a description or link to a description of how she thinks they can be weaponized.  As far as I know the only way to weaponize them is to throw them at people.  I don't think that can be prevented.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »
The easiest way to deal with it is to use your 5G phone to send powerful radio waves to destroy the websites and cell phone towers that are feeding them this disinformation. I think all you have to do is hold the pound key and the volume button at the same time. Just be careful that you don't hold the pound key and the fingerprint sensor at the same time. That sends 5G zeta waves into your body through your finger causing instant lymphoma.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
Smartphones, for example, are general purpose computers. As such, they can be programmed to do all sorts of things undesired and unbeknownst to the user.

I'm assuming that's what Groomporter's relative meant by the devices being "weaponized," which is why I would never try to convince somebody that Internet-linked data devices are incapable of being misused in such a way.

But malware attacks are not germane to 5e devices alone. Practically any data collection, storage, or transmission device that's connected to the Internet is capable of being compromised and misused in some way. 

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 01:01:40 PM »
They do realize the G stands for Generation? 5th gen is better than 4th which is better than 3rd and so on.
5G will give you the bandwidth to get video on how to build a better bomb but you could do that with 3rd if you were patient enough.

This is like saying Millenials are weaponized more over the GenX or Baby boomers. Which might be true but we should just blame the Lost Generation for not raising their kids right.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »

I'm afraid this issue is new to me. However, you have piqued my curiosity.  If you have time for a write-up, would you mind giving an overview of what she's into?
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 01:23:23 PM »
I am betting on fear of radiation. Using a 5G is like sticking your head into a microwave oven five microwave ovens!
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
I am betting on fear of radiation. Using a 5G is like sticking your head into a microwave oven five microwave ovens!

Either that, or fear of being spied upon.

The current 5g hardware is being manufactured by Chinese company Huawei, which is known to have put espionage backdoors into its products (1, 2, 3). This has the EU worried about security breaches. Earlier this year the US government banned Huawei gear, prompting a lawsuit from Huawei. Following the most recent revelations of apparent backdoors, The US is warning its allies not to use Huawei stuff, though it appears that the UK is not listening.

I think it all seems a bit hypocritical, considering that the US, UK, Canada, and the "Land Down Under", have proposed building their own backdoor into our industry standard encryption protocols.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:51:03 PM by John Albert »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »
Weaponized is like "militarized", much ado about nothing.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »
So there have been two possibilities suggested.

It means, they'll be used to spy on us.  Totally plausible but not any different from 4g, 3g, or any other cell phone technology.

It means, "radiation", um...ok, if so, what?  Same scare as previous cell phone tech and likely as little basis.  I doubt this is it as it implies they aren't all dangerous its just those that have been weaponized.

I really think we need more info from groomporter to have any chance of providing a resource for him.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 10:43:56 AM »
Another possible way they could be "weaponized" is to hack them for use in a bot net. Because they're faster (that's the only real difference, isn't it?) they would be more effective than 4G in bot nets.

@Groomporter really needs to tell us what type of "weaponization" is being alluded to. Spying or use in bot nets are realistic concerns. Beaming mind-control waves or em waves into our brains are just silliness.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
Any kind of malware is also a threat. If you're worried about malware on a mobile device, get an iPhone or iPad and don't jailbreak it.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »
By the way, doesn't this thread really belong in the Tech forum?

personate-rain
personate-rain