Author Topic: Deadwood Movie (HBO)  (Read 1736 times)

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Deadwood Movie (HBO)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
I was completely wrong to be apprehensive, that was absolutely brilliant from start to finish!
(click to show/hide)

They were kind of handcuffed to a famous historical figure. Can't change history that much.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
They changed a LOT of details about famous historical figures. They clearly were just using history as a jumping off point to make a good story.

ETA: Found a good article that lists many of the accurate and inaccurate details from the show.. Really interesting read actually.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:29:13 PM by Eternally Learning »

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »
Yes, but Hearst had to live, just as Wild Bill had to die. They are household names. People know their stories.

Spielberg changed a lot of facts in Lincoln, but he didn’t change the ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 09:44:09 PM »
They changed a LOT of details about famous historical figures. They clearly were just using history as a jumping off point to make a good story.

ETA: Found a good article that lists many of the accurate and inaccurate details from the show.. Really interesting read actually.

Swearengen supposedly died a pauper, murdered in Denver according to history not of liver disease (but that final scene is played somewhat ambiguous, did Al really die?). In reading up on the history of Deadwood, I was amazed at how many  of the secondary characters beyond Al and Bullock were based on real people: E. B., Merrick, Sol Star, and Charlie Utter.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 07:50:18 AM »
I was actually a tiny bit disappointed. I enjoyed it for the most part, but some of the dialogue felt a bit more wooden or forced to me than it did in the series (especially some of the expository lines by E.B. and Al), I didn't much care for the flashbacks (even though I admit they were a useful reminder), and it felt like it ended with a bit of a whimper. There was no real resolution and when the credits started rolling my reaction was basically "wait... that's it?". Felt like they needed another movie to wrap it up. It wasn't bad or anything, just not as great as I'd hoped.
Mooohn!

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
I enjoyed it. 9/10

Though I was a bit puzzled that the writers had Jewel and Al singing an iconic Australian song (Waltzing Matilda) 6 years before it was actually written by Banjo Paterson, a bit strange.  ???

I know the show plays loose with historical accuracy, but something a bit more contemporary to 1889 and the area would have been more relevant.

personate-rain