Author Topic: Chernobyl (HBO) discussion (spoilers)  (Read 2770 times)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Chernobyl (HBO) discussion (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 11:25:52 PM »
I just watched this video on the relative radioactivity of different various places and things around the world including Chernobyl.  Apparently, aside from a few locations, it's not actually too bad there right now.  I mean, it still not a great idea to live there, but being an astronaut is far, far worse for you.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »
The wildlife is LOVING IT!!!!
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 12:05:58 PM »
I thought all the trees were dead, radioactive, and incapable of rotting or supporting life. That at any time a forest fire would fill the air with radiation so they have to monitor it at all times for lightning strikes.

It was just a Cracked article I read but they tend to be somewhat factual.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
I thought all the trees were dead, radioactive, and incapable of rotting or supporting life. That at any time a forest fire would fill the air with radiation so they have to monitor it at all times for lightning strikes.

It was just a Cracked article I read but they tend to be somewhat factual.
About five years ago or so I saw a docu on the wildlife in the area. The wolf population is excellent. The status of the alpha predators reflects the environment as a whole.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 02:48:35 PM »
Found it!

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
crazy, there is so much about this indecent I didn't realize I didn't know. I didn't know how close it was to being so much worse or how many people worked and died to keep it that way. Excellent miniseries so far.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
Jesus Christ, last night's episode four.

As an animal lover and pet owner that was hard to watch. I will NEVER re-watch it. Had trouble getting to sleep afterwards.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »

As an animal lover and pet owner that was hard to watch. I will NEVER re-watch it. Had trouble getting to sleep afterwards.

This ^  That episode last night was the hardest thing I've ever watched.  I was seconds from just turning it off.

It honestly wasn't a bad episode, it just hits us pet owners and animal lovers REALLY hard.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »

This ^  That episode last night was the hardest thing I've ever watched.  I was seconds from just turning it off.

It honestly wasn't a bad episode, it just hits us pet owners and animal lovers REALLY hard.

In the companion podcast  (which if you're not listening to, you should be) series writer Craig Mazin mentions a scene in this "liquidation" sequence that was scripted and shot and based on a true event but ultimately left out as being TOO disturbing. It's horrible and I'm glad it was left out.

I have to admit, I never realized just how horrible the full extent of the Chernobyl disaster was before this series. This has been truly an educational viewing experience for me, one which I am supplementing was much further reading.

Whenever a time stamp pops up on screen, I keep thinking back to what I was doing at that time in 1986 as a blithely ignorant 24-yr old..... 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:10:17 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »
One of my friends is a nuclear physicist and this was his review so far.

I'll also be caught up on Chernobyl.... so far it is mostly minor nitpicks. They did their research but just are dumbing down some of the technicals.   My biggest issue, which I expected, is they haven't addressed how these reactors are fundamentally different than reactors built in the US or most of the west. (there were also design changes to the RBMK's to prevent a recurrence based on this event so that is wasn't repeatable.)  As expected, this show is fueling the anti-nuclear paranoia in some viewers .... e.g. I have people in my social media feeds posting about their proximity to nuclear reactors. 

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 09:33:02 AM »
I am not sure why or how a historical TV show should address the differences between Soviet and Western nuclear reactors from over 40 yeas ago.

Should someone have stood up at one of the cabinet meeting, looked at the camera and proclaimed that "while the RBMK reactors were a flawed design that was way too easy to melt down with a couple misguided actions, such things could not happen to the power plants of 2019"

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
I am not sure why or how a historical TV show should address the differences between Soviet and Western nuclear reactors from over 40 yeas ago.

Should someone have stood up at one of the cabinet meeting, looked at the camera and proclaimed that "while the RBMK reactors were a flawed design that was way too easy to melt down with a couple misguided actions, such things could not happen to the power plants of 2019"

Easily and with a line of dialogue that mentions the different types of reactors and why this only happened at Chernobyl. I'm surprised you see this as a stretch a not clarifying point? Do you think no else wonders why it only happened at Chernobyl? I think a little more info would be good. I'm sure they will do more of a post mortem that goes into a little more detail, I know I shouldn't be, but am a little surprised by your reaction to his very minor criticisms.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
It seems to me that the more cogent reply to anyone smoking fears by making spurious comparisons is to address the striking meta commentary of this show.  To Whit: Chernobyl is not a cautionary tale about nuclear meltdowns, it is a commentary on how bias, ignorance, and authoritarianism combine to have real and terrible effects on humanity.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 11:44:40 AM »
It seems to me that the more cogent reply to anyone smoking fears by making spurious comparisons is to address the striking meta commentary of this show.  To Whit: Chernobyl is not a cautionary tale about nuclear meltdowns, it is a commentary on how bias, ignorance, and authoritarianism combine to have real and terrible effects on humanity.

Yeah, I think my friend is just a bit sensitive about the subject. As you can imagine he has gotten into a lot of arguments online and elsewhere about nuclear power with people who know very little about it.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »

Easily and with a line of dialogue that mentions the different types of reactors and why this only happened at Chernobyl. I'm surprised you see this as a stretch a not clarifying point? Do you think no else wonders why it only happened at Chernobyl? I think a little more info would be good. I'm sure they will do more of a post mortem that goes into a little more detail, I know I shouldn't be, but am a little surprised by your reaction to his very minor criticisms.

I am not even sure if any of the 1980s Soviet characters knew how Western reactors worked, the Cold War wasn't exactly a time of free knowledge sharing abouz nuclear technology and even if they knew, they would have never admitted that theirs was the inferior design.

personate-rain