Author Topic: Chernobyl (HBO) discussion (spoilers)  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Chernobyl (HBO) discussion (spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »
It's good to remember that TMI released no radiation into the atmosphere.

Ummm......

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/03/three-mile-island-40-years-later-a-timeline-of-events-as-they-occurred-on-march-28-1979.html

Radioactive steam was released into the atmosphere.  The difference here is that it was almost all short lived radioactive noble gasses. 
#non-belief denialist

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
IMDB now has Chernobyl as the highest rated television show of all time!

So where do they go for Season Two....?

Seriously, I wonder if a Fukishima series might soon be in the works.

How would that look like? I just don't see any compelling drama in the Fukushima story, which, to my understanding was about officials ignoring deficiencies in natural disaster-proofing, a natural disaster hitting, and a more or less efficient and professional evacuation and cleanup.

It's Japan, maybe that can add in a giant aquatic radioactive lizard or two....y'know artistic license.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »
IMDB now has Chernobyl as the highest rated television show of all time!

So where do they go for Season Two....?

Seriously, I wonder if a Fukishima series might soon be in the works.

How would that look like? I just don't see any compelling drama in the Fukushima story, which, to my understanding was about officials ignoring deficiencies in natural disaster-proofing, a natural disaster hitting, and a more or less efficient and professional evacuation and cleanup.

There was a serious effort to get cooling pumps working. Workers had to go inside the damaged facility (exposing themselves to radiation) to get the pumps in working order, and replace some; at the same time other crews were trouble shooting the electrical supply and had to reroute and/or replace power lines, exposing some of them to radiation; at the same time there was an effort to save the generators that were located above the waste recepticals and when that effort failed there was another desperate effort to get replacement generators on site and up and running in time stop a massive release of radioactive gasses and material.
That didn't work

From what I've read this would have been more dramatic than Chernobyl or TMI were. In both of those cases there was nothing to be done to prevent the disaster, but there was an effort at containment.

Fukishima was like a slow moving train wreck where at every step of the way workers paid for their lives for bad decisions made by engineers and architects and government officials.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »
Sooooo.....Russia has announced plans to make it's own Chernobyl drama.....that pins the cause of the disaster on CIA sabotage. I make a lot of jokes, but this is NOT one of them!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/russia-plans-rival-chernobyl-project/

"Russian state TV channel NTV will reportedly soon air its own drama version about the deadly 1986 Chernobyl nuclear meltdown disaster, but this one is obviously far more pro-Russian and reportedly makes the suggestion a CIA spy was present for the catastrophic accident.

The Guardian has a description for the series which follows a CIA agent dispatched to Pripyat to gather intelligence on the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and the Russian counterintelligence agent sent to track him down. Series director Alexey Muradov says the show tells viewers “about what really happened back then.”

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »

personate-rain