Author Topic: make hard boiled eggs, then forgot and left them overnight in the pota  (Read 4160 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
are they safe to eat?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Why wouldn't they be?

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
Why wouldn't they be?

Unrefrigerated for over 12 hours?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Ah.hell

Not following, were they stored in a pot of botulism?  Rinse them off if you're paranoid. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:59:10 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Don't eat them. It is not safe. There is a chance that you will get sick. Anything left for more than two hours have had enough time for any bacteria there to reproduce to unsafe levels. So, just throw them out.

Also, egg shells are not impermeable, meaning things and bacteria seep in.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
But the egg was in the pot. submerged under water. With the shell on. I don't think it is disease plagued.
But, Eggs are cheap enough that you really aren't losing much if you play it over safe.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
They're probably so hard they'll taste terrible. I've left eggs in the water for an extra 30 minutes or so because I got distracted, and they tasted terrible. Even with the heat off, they'll continue cooking until the water has cooled significantly.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Ah.hell

Eggs were hard boiled.
The water was boiled for 10 min.
They had a shell(not impermeable sure but a barrier
They are hard boiled. 

Any bacteria would have to get through the water, shell, and the exterior surface of the egg.  Take them out of the shell rinse them off and eat them.  Or not, I do think the concern is a bit paranoid. 

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
You can eat them, but then again why would you ever want to eat a cold hard-boiled egg unless you are starving, a raccoon, or both

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Unwashed raw eggs can be stored in the shell at room temperature for days, but my understanding is that washing (and boiling) removes a protective layer that makes them more permeable to bacteria. I tend to doubt there would be any issue if one ate such eggs, but there is at least a plausible reason to think they could be less safe than freshly boiled ones.  It comes down to one's tolerance for risk.

The CDC will of course tell you that any cooked food left at room temperature for more than two hours must be discarded.  But they are in the caution business...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Let us know whether or not you die.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline CarbShark

Throw them out. Two hours is the limit.

The shells are more permeable after boiling and there’s plenty of nutrition to feed a colony of bacteria. Submerged in water is not a safe way to protect them from bacteria, even if the water was boiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I've specialized in Food safety and poultry safety.

Bacterias can get anywhere. You need -5C to stop them from growing or above 60C to kill them all together. Anything between will grow any bacteria. Even water and you cant brush off bacteria.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
are they safe to eat?

Pretty sure the farts you will make an hour after consuming it might be deadly to others.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
are they safe to eat?

Pretty sure the farts you will make an hour after consuming it might be deadly to others.
Oooh, sulphur dioxide. Finest kind stinky.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41