Author Topic: make hard boiled eggs, then forgot and left them overnight in the pota  (Read 3727 times)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512

Butter may not spoil, but it will become rancid.  I think you need to find another website.

im guessing you didnt go to the site, here is the rest of the quote

Like peanut butter, butter can go rancid if exposed to oxygen, light, and heat. But as long as you keep it in an opaque butter dish, and use it in a reasonable amount of time, it's perfectly OK to store butter on the kitchen counter.

I‘m guessing you failed to adequately express what the site said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
What ever happened to the five second rule, anyway? 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
I have a rule.

Don’t eat at restaurants the use the five second rule.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
I have a rule.

Don’t eat at restaurants the use the five second rule.

How would you know?  Remember "Driving Miss Daisy?
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
I bemused by the claims that an unshelled hard boiled egg in a pot of sterile boiled water is unsafe after being at room temperature for 8 hours, but that an opened bottle of tomato sauce is safe after being at room temperature for 8 weeks.

I keep my tomato sauce in the fridge (I use it so rarely, it’s the one ‘food’ that I discard because it’s gone off, usually due to surface moulds in the bottle), but I’ll happily eat unshelled hard boiled eggs left at room temperature for 8 hours (but I re-hard boil them before eating, because I like them hot, which must eliminate the already negligible safety risk).
Ketchup is made with vinegar and is not a good medium for bacteria.

Eggs are a good medium for bacteria.

Raw eggs, even in the intact shell, at room temperature are a good culture medium for bacteria (and viruses).  If poultry farmers don’t follow best practice, and allow their eggs to cool while contaminated with chicken faecal material, as the contents of the eggs cool and contract, and a partial negative pressure is created within the eggs, some of the faecal material is sucked in contaminating the eggs.  And then if the eggs are transported and displayed at room temperature, then the contaminating bacteria can multiply greatly.  And then if the eggs aren’t adequately cooked, gastroenteritis can result (hard boiling eggs, though, should destroy most if not all significant pathogens.

Hard boiled eggs aren’t as good a culture medium.  But even if they were, the bacteria have to get into the eggs.  Either after getting into the pot of sterile boiled water, then through the shell, and then finally through the solid substance of the hard boiled egg (the original scenario).  Or through the dry intact shell (which is porous, but bacteria need moisture to move - wrapping sterile surgical instruments in dry paper after autoclaving ensures sterility).  And then through the solid substance of the hard boiled egg.

Scrambled eggs on a plate exposed to the outside air at room temperature can be dangerous after 2 hours.  Unshelled hard boiled eggs at room temperature have a much longer shelf life.  And as I’ve noted many times, if you’re worried (paranoid would be a better word) about a negligible risk, you can always re-hard boil the eggs.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Many food safety questions are answered in this document but Its hard to search and prefer to discuss them publicly. I mite want to treat my own preparations with more caution than the government allows based on quality.

There are many things that the USDA and FDA allows that I find weird comparing to the food safety of other countries. And vice Versa.

The idea is to do everything you can to protect the public at your most acceptable cost. Most regulations will say that you should keep something at a certain minimum. How you do it is really up to you, and there are hundreds of ways to be compliant. It's all based on best practices and record keeping.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

personate-rain