Author Topic: make hard boiled eggs, then forgot and left them overnight in the pota  (Read 3950 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
You can eat them, but then again why would you ever want to eat a cold hard-boiled egg unless you are starving, a raccoon, or both
I love em!!! I eat them whole and separate the yolk and whites in my mouth!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
You can eat them, but then again why would you ever want to eat a cold hard-boiled egg unless you are starving, a raccoon, or both
Deviled eggs.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
I like cold hard boiled eggs in salads as well.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
I'm not a fan of hardboiled or fried eggs. I like them poached and drizzled with Hollandaise, or scrambled, or in an omelette or frittata. I also don't like them in potato salads. I fork up a nice bit of delicious creamy potato, only to discover that it's rubbery egg white. Potato salad is delicious, but not when they're being deliberately deceptive.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
I think they would be fine to eat. We used to leave hard boiled eggs out for days as a kid and I'm still alive(not that means anything I could have been just lucky). My motto is when in doubt throw it out. So if you are not sure throw them out. Unless it is your only meal for the day then I would eat them.

On another note I have found the best way to hard boil eggs is to steam them for 15 min and then put them in an ice bath until cooled.  I have found that the shell will peel off the egg effortlessly.  I have done a lot of experimenting with eggs and this has had the best results.

Now back to the topic at hand
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
The problem with eggs is that if the warm freshly laid eggs are in contact with moist chicken faecal material, as the eggs cool it creates a partial vacuum within the egg which sucks in some of the faecal material contaminating the semiliquid content of the egg.  And then if the egg is inadequately cooked...

Hard boiling the egg and then leaving it overnight in the water won’t be a problem.  The egg, including the shell, is sterile - it’s been heated  to 100 degrees Celsius for several minutes.  The water is sterile, for the same reason.  As the egg and the water. cools, the egg will suck in some of the water, but that’s sterile.  Even if the egg had been taken out of the water there wouldn’t be a problem- the outside of the shell would dry rapidly.  As the egg cools it might suck in a little room air, but room air isn’t usually bacteria laden.

Bacteria generally need a liquid to be able to spread. Hard boiled eggs aren’t liquid.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
With food I live by the motto: "If in doubt, chuck it out"

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
1)  we threw them out.  eggs are cheap.
2)  I will try the steaming thing.
3)  hard boiled eggs are delicious even cold.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
I left a jar full of cabbage at room temp for weeks on my hearth.  It was submerged in water (salted) and all kinds of bacteria grew in there.  Delicious.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Ah.hell

Steaming is how my wife cooks them.  It works fine, I can't imagine having strong feelings about hard boiled eggs, they're so meh.

Throwing them out was a waste of food though, they were fine. 

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
I left a jar full of cabbage at room temp for weeks on my hearth.  It was submerged in water (salted) and all kinds of bacteria grew in there.  Delicious.

I'm getting ready to start making my own sauerkraut and pickles for my hot dog stand. I cant wait.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
1)  we threw them out.  eggs are cheap.
2)  I will try the steaming thing.
3)  hard boiled eggs are delicious even cold.

Try Sous Vide

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

Let's start off by saying that despite the title of this post, sous-vide eggs are a misnomer. "Slow-cooked eggs" would be a more apt description. Very, very slow-cooked eggs even better. It's only through association with the equipment used to cook sous-vide (vacuum-sealed) foods that the term sous-vide eggs has stuck, despite the fact that there is no vacuum involved in their preparation. Still, it's the common term for them, so I'll use it.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page

I'm getting ready to start making my own sauerkraut and pickles for my hot dog stand. I cant wait.
Oh, for summer I make Lemon Dill Kraut.  Just add some dried dill flakes and a little lemon juice to your brine/cabbage mix for fermentation.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster

lol, why is that ringing a bell with me?  Isn't that a quote from Ronald Reagan or something?
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline CarbShark

Hard boiling the egg and then leaving it overnight in the water won’t be a problem.  The egg, including the shell, is sterile - it’s been heated  to 100 degrees Celsius for several minutes. 

Not necessarily. To hard boil an egg the inside temperature needs to be 150  - 155f. Not 212. If you boil them for several minutes they are over cooked.

The water is sterile, for the same reason.  As the egg and the water. cools, the egg will suck in some of the water, but that’s sterile. 

The water will initially be sterile, but bacteria have ways of spreading and once the water has cooled and exposed to the environment it is not sterile.

Even if the egg had been taken out of the water there wouldn’t be a problem- the outside of the shell would dry rapidly.  As the egg cools it might suck in a little room air, but room air isn’t usually bacteria laden.

Bacteria generally need a liquid to be able to spread. Hard boiled eggs aren’t liquid.

If bacteria is on the outside of an egg shell it has a good chance of getting in.

There is enough liquid in hard boiled eggs to sustain bacteria.

The question is not if the eggs will go bad, they will. The question is how long before they are unsafe to eat.

The standard conservative answer for cooked food is two hours. For hard boiled eggs left in cool water it might be longer, but I wouldn’t risk it.

Throwing them out was the right choice. Little benefit to eating them but with a high risk. While the downside of tossing them is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain