Author Topic: Eid Mubarak  (Read 992 times)

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Eid Mubarak
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 05:08:03 PM »
Even the word "goodbye" has religious connotations.

Goodbye = God b' w' ye = God be with you
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
I sneeze a lot - I'm a photic sneezer, so I get people saying "bless you" all the time. I usually reply "no thanks".
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 02:12:38 AM »
I like to experience bits of culture from around the world to the extent that the people are willing to share them with me.

But I can't get behind public ritualistic animal slaughter.

I think that is for the Hajj and the second Eid of the year.

I don't think it happens (much) in Western counties. I will see what I can find out.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 04:12:54 AM »
I like to experience bits of culture from around the world to the extent that the people are willing to share them with me.

But I can't get behind public ritualistic animal slaughter.

I don't think it happens (much) in Western counties. I will see what I can find out.

At least here, I don't it is legal to slaughter animals as a private individual, or even as a religious congregation. It has to be done by an authorized slaughterhouse. I think so, at least.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 04:13:48 AM »
Meh.

I also use expressions like "oh my god" and "goddamnit" and "Christ on a crutch," so I figure if I can invoke religious language to express surprise or aggravation, it's not hypocritical to use it to say something nice. Sometimes I'll even say "bless you" when somebody sneezes. Does that make me a bad atheist?

Not a bad atheist at all. I just found the practice odd.

Here, pretty much the only people who give out "blessings" are priests or the equivalent.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »

You're right, Eid al Fitr is mostly about feasting and charity.  Eid al Adha is the blood sacrifice holiday.
Amend and resubmit.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »
I sneeze a lot - I'm a photic sneezer, so I get people saying "bless you" all the time. I usually reply "no thanks".

After somebody sneezes, I'll sometimes switch it up and say "gesundheit" instead of "God bless," but even gesundheit begs the question on what authority I'm wishing them good health.

Here's a list of things that people in different cultures say after somebody sneezes. I especially like the Cantonese reply, "a great fortunate occurrence!" because it sounds so grandiose.

Meh.

I also use expressions like "oh my god" and "goddamnit" and "Christ on a crutch," so I figure if I can invoke religious language to express surprise or aggravation, it's not hypocritical to use it to say something nice. Sometimes I'll even say "bless you" when somebody sneezes. Does that make me a bad atheist?

Not a bad atheist at all. I just found the practice odd.

Here, pretty much the only people who give out "blessings" are priests or the equivalent.

The English language is peppered with these little supernatural invocations. I'm inclined to just roll with them, rather than try to force the trivialities of language to become more atheist.

In a recent episode of The Atheist Experience, Tracie Harris noted that the parting phrase, "have a blessed day" has come into widespread use among some Christian sects. She went on to describe that expression as a Christian "dog whistle," explicitly intended to signal fellow Christians and make nonreligious people feel uncomfortable. I'm not sure I'm totally down with that assessment. While I acknowledge that phrases like that are specifically intended to inject the speaker's religion into everyday interactions, it hardly seems worth taking offense at.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:35:03 AM by John Albert »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »
As you see in that Wikipedia link, we also have our own saying (in Latin), just not a directly religious one.

I would not take offense to be "blessed". Just finding it very odd.

personate-rain