Author Topic: Does "alcohol-free" (0.4%) drinks affect health in any way?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: Does "alcohol-free" (0.4%) drinks affect health in any way?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 10:53:53 PM »
Random Poet was right about one thing: you do have to check the label.  I went out and bought three alcohol-free pilsners (without looking first at the labels): a Jever, a Bitburger and a Krombacher.  Turns out that of the three only the Jever contains no sugar.  The Bitburger label states 7.8g carbohydrate per 100 ml, of which 4.4 g, are sugar.  In contrast, the Jever label, as advertised, states 2.1 g carbohydrate / 100 ml, 0.0 g sugar.  I tried the Bitburger and it tastes very sweet.  The Jever, on the other hand, does not taste sweet at all.  It has only 13 kcal / 100 ml, and tastes quite similar to regular Jever pilsner.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:04:22 AM by jt512 »
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 11:14:15 PM »
P.S. There are 9 grams of sugar in a glass of carrot juice and 36 in a glass of grape juice. Beer is looking pretty good now, as far as sugar goes.

I know what I’d prefer to drink.  I haven’t had any carrot juice for almost three weeks, and I’m looking forward to some when I get back to Australia in about three weeks.  I’ll try the Jeveraner when I get to Duisburg (I’m there for 11 nights, which should be long enough to drink a 6-pack).  Assuming I can find it in the supermarket (which I should be able to do - German supermarkets sell a very large assortment of drinks).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 04:34:41 AM »
You are basically drinking a hops-flavoured softdrink. So, the usual consideration about drinking sugary beverages apply. Always check the labels.

It's not really a soft-drink, or at least it doesn't taste like such. It is an alcohol-free (well, 0.4%) IPA, i.e very different taste from Coke, Fanta, etc.
Flavour is irrelevant. It is [size=78%]a carbonated drink with added sugar. That's a softdrink.[/size]

What kind of alcohol-free beer are you talking about.  Here in Germany there is no sugar, added or otherwise, in alcohol-free beer.

Partial translation: Brewed as regular beer.  Then the alcohol is removed.  No sugar.  Ingredients: water, malt, hops, fermentation carbonic acid.

I tried a bottle this morning.  I noticed that the very small, not very good supermarket I visit in Hamburg sells them singly, along with a lot of other beverages.  I had it at room temperature, which isn’t saying much - it’s colder than I like.  It’s very pleasant, and has a rather tart taste.  I’m glad it’s not available in Australia, as I could become addicted.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »
According to what I have read, alcohol-free (well, almost) beer can give a similar effect as alcoholic beer, by the taste (I guess that is through learned association) as well as the environment around. The dopamine in the brain can be increased by it. While we know that alcohol is really a poison, would the similar effect caused by alcohol-free beer as previously described have any adverse health effects?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 07:27:11 PM »
According to what I have read, alcohol-free (well, almost) beer can give a similar effect as alcoholic beer...

Bullshit.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 07:50:11 PM »
Personally, I'm not concerned about the very small amount of sugar (or alcohol) in my N/A beer. I enjoy the taste and always have. (My step-father gave me beer when I was a baby, and apparently I loved it. I've certainly liked the taste for as long as I can remember.) I also love fresh carrot juice. Bottled, less so, but I still like it.

The only alcohol I drink is the very small amount in my occasional N/A beer, but the other day I had two of them, and I slept better than I normally do. Fell asleep faster and slept longer. Could be a coincidence. If the bottles are 12 ounces each, then I had the alcohol equivalent of two ounces of beer. And I'm not accustomed to having more than half that, a few times a month.

It would not surprise me if a very small amount of alcohol could affect me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2019, 09:04:04 AM »
According to what I have read, alcohol-free (well, almost) beer can give a similar effect as alcoholic beer...

Bullshit.

You read the entire post I see...
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »

Bullshit.

You read the entire post I see...

You see correctly.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »
Random Poet was right about one thing: you do have to check the label.  I went out and bought three alcohol-free pilsners (without looking first at the labels): a Jever, a Bitburger and a Krombacher.  Turns out that of the three only the Jever contains no sugar.  The Bitburger label states 7.8g carbohydrate per 100 ml, of which 4.4 g, are sugar. In contrast, the Jever label, as advertised, states 2.1 g carbohydrate / 100 ml, 0.0 g sugar.  I tried the Bitburger and it tastes very sweet.  The Jever, on the other hand, does not taste sweet at all.  It has only 13 kcal / 100 ml, and tastes quite similar to regular Jever pilsner.

That's actually a lot of carbs and sugar, per 12 ounces. (Which is the serving size most common in the US).

That's about 28g Carbs and 15g sugar.

A lot more than regular beer (which I stopped drinking 10 years ago):

---Oh, wait, that's not an actual label, but I think the carbs are correct.  I'll double check.

My answer to the question is that alcohol free beer effects health in the same way that any drink, high in fast simple carbs does.

So I avoid it.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
Here's some better information

https://www.millercoors.com/sites/millercoors/files/Web%20Site%20Nutritionals%20Update%20Combined%2005-10-2019.pdf

Miller Genuine Draft
Serving size: 12 fl oz.
12.2g carbs
0g sugar
Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Corn Syrup (Maltose – not High-Fructose Corn Syrup), Yeast, Hop Extract, Hops

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:16:42 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain