Author Topic: Does "alcohol-free" (0.4%) drinks affect health in any way?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Recently I tried an alcohol-free beer (several bottles of it). It was surprisingly good actually. I will probably take that more often in the future. Less bad for health, and much cheaper too, so good for my economy too. Not a trace of hangover, and no need to pee all the time either.

However, it is not completely alcohol-free. The law here states that anything with less alcohol that 0.5% can be considered alcohol-free, and this beer has 0.4% alcohol. Does that small percentage of alcohol affect health in any noticeable way? Or is it simply too small to matter?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
My guess is that this falls under the umbrella of insignificant toxins. Our immune system and filtration systems are constantly dealing with minute amounts of different toxins, and getting rid of those toxins doesn't seem to have guaranteed benefits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Does "alcohol-free" (0.4%) drinks affect health in any way?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:57:33 PM »
Just my opinion: Non-alcoholic beer (less than 0.5% alcohol) has an insignificant impact on your health, either beneficial or harmful.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »
Your replies make sense, thanks. :)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
You are basically drinking a hops-flavoured softdrink. So, the usual consideration about drinking sugary beverages apply. Always check the labels.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »
Everytime alcohol has been free, it has significantly impacted my health >:D

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »
You are basically drinking a hops-flavoured softdrink. So, the usual consideration about drinking sugary beverages apply. Always check the labels.
I was going to say something about this.  A large slug of empty calories(carbs even) probably not great for you but almost certainly better for you than actual beer.

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
Everytime alcohol has been free, it has significantly impacted my health >:D
Nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:06 PM »
The law here states that anything with less alcohol that 0.5% can be considered alcohol-free, and this beer has 0.4% alcohol. Does that small percentage of alcohol affect health in any noticeable way? Or is it simply too small to matter?

It's not the percentage that causes the health problems, it's the total consumption.

500 mL of 0.4% alcohol beer has the same alcohol health effect as
    50 mL of 4.0% alcohol beer.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »
The law here states that anything with less alcohol that 0.5% can be considered alcohol-free, and this beer has 0.4% alcohol. Does that small percentage of alcohol affect health in any noticeable way? Or is it simply too small to matter?

It's not the percentage that causes the health problems, it's the total consumption.

500 mL of 0.4% alcohol beer has the same alcohol health effect as
    50 mL of 4.0% alcohol beer.

...which is to say, no health problems at that level of consumption.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:46:20 AM by jt512 »
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 05:47:31 AM »
I was going to say something about this.  A large slug of empty calories(carbs even) probably not great for you but almost certainly better for you than actual beer.

Not entirely empty.  Beer, alcoholic or not, contains micronutrients.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 05:51:31 AM »
Recently I tried an alcohol-free beer (several bottles of it). It was surprisingly good actually.

I agree.  It is surprisingly good tasting, at least the stuff they have here in Germany. 

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 06:20:05 AM »
I suppose it would depend on your calorie budget though?
It would only be a problem if it brought you into a calorific excess?
Maybe not great for your teeth though.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »

It's not really a soft-drink, or at least it doesn't taste like such. It is an alcohol-free (well, 0.4%) IPA, i.e very different taste from Coke, Fanta, etc.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »

It's not really a soft-drink, or at least it doesn't taste like such. It is an alcohol-free (well, 0.4%) IPA, i.e very different taste from Coke, Fanta, etc.
Flavour is irrelevant. It is a carbonated drink with added sugar. That's a softdrink.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

personate-rain