Author Topic: MCU character powers and issues therewith. [SPOILERS]  (Read 455 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
MCU character powers and issues therewith. [SPOILERS]
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:14:29 AM »
Double post here:

Vision seemed rather weak in "Infinity Wars", or did I miss something?

Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, is the second character in the movies to be "born of an infinity stone", for lack of a better term. Is this right?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: MCU character powers and issues therewith. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver also got their powers from Infinity stones if I recall?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
Carol Danvers was the first chronologically, but the last in movie releases.

The vision was stabbed in the back by a plot device.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:56:44 AM »
Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver also got their powers from Infinity stones if I recall?
The difference, I think, would that the twin were "treated" with the stone while Vision and Carol Dangerous contained or absorbed them. I don't know canon on that.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
The vision was stabbed in the back by a plot device.

I dunno that it was a plot device, though some others agree with you. Vision and Wanda were caught by surprise by enemies far more powerful than they had ever fought. The enemy's power was established in that scene. It was part of the plot, sure, but it didn't feel contrived or forced to me. It was following through on Thanos' finally losing patience: "Fine. I'll do it myself."
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »
The difference, I think, would that the twin were "treated" with the stone while Vision and Carol Dangerous contained or absorbed them. I don't know canon on that.
Carol cant have absorbed the whole stone though because it still exists outside of her right?
Seems like she was just bitten by a radioactive stone.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
Carol cant have absorbed the whole stone though because it still exists outside of her right?
Seems like she was just bitten by a radioactive stone.
Okay, as I remember the dialog Jude Law or one of his troops said she absorbed the energy source when Mar-vell shot it. No way to check that here.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 09:41:01 PM »
In the MCU she's powered by the Space Stone (ultimately). It's contained in the Tesseract at the time, so it's powers are modulated in some way. I'd guess she's infused with its energy in a manner not unlike Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch were infused with the energy of the Mind Stone. Wanda was powerful enough to destroy the Mind Stone, but (IIRC) that didn't remove her powers. Carol seems to have been hit with a bigger dose and have Kree mods to her, which could explain her greater power level.

None of these are like what happened to Jane Foster in T:TDW, when the Reality Stone (contained in that red liquid form) infused her. Like the other two, she never held the naked stone.

...Side note, how are Quicksilver's powers related to the Mind Stone? I wonder if he was tweaked by the Tesseract / Mind Stone instead? Hm.

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:22:26 AM »
[dodge]The effects of the stone on people can be unpredictable.[/dodge]

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
Agreed. I was just thinking that Hydra would have had access to the Tesseract for quite a while when they were kids. It's possible they used the sceptre on her and the cube on him, given what their powers ended up being.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 08:24:20 AM »
Agreed. I was just thinking that Hydra would have had access to the Tesseract for quite a while when they were kids. It's possible they used the sceptre on her and the cube on him, given what their powers ended up being.
It could be that the twins were the first ones to survive the treatment Hydra was working on. They may have been the first survivors of the treatment.

BTW:

"Where did Strucker say we were headed with this Scepter?"
"Sokovia. We've been securing a base out here while their current "liberator-of-the-month" rebellion provides the cover."

(https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/HYDRA_Research_Base).

The bald weasel tells Rumlow to "notify Dr. List" when they obtain the scepter. (IIRC) So Hydra would have had it since "Avengers Assemble." That suggests that the twins may have been treated in early puberty, when the body is undergoing significant changes already. /swag

personate-rain