Author Topic: Episode #723  (Read 2601 times)

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode #723
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
https://nypost.com/2019/07/03/killing-of-famous-namibia-elephant-sparks-outrage-among-conservationists/

That's an issue. One group says that this specific elephant is a problem, another group says that this specific elephant isn't a problem. Who's right?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2019, 10:05:14 PM »
https://nypost.com/2019/07/03/killing-of-famous-namibia-elephant-sparks-outrage-among-conservationists/

That's an issue. One group says that this specific elephant is a problem, another group says that this specific elephant isn't a problem. Who's right?

The government says that the animal was causing property damage, and presumably was also a risk to human life. The conservation groups says, as a general statement, "the elephants don't enter human settlements." I couldn't find the press release on their site, and all of the articles appear to be copying the Reuters article. But I did find this (http://www.met.gov.na/news/146/Elephants-wreak-havoc-in-Kavango-West/):

Speaking at an inter-ministerial committee meeting at Nkurenkuru on Monday, Kavango West Regional Council chairperson Joseph Sivaku said close to 300 people in the Tondoro constituency alone have had their crops destroyed by elephants.
The meeting was specifically called to discuss the problem of elephants raiding people's fields and it was attended by the political leadership from Kavango West; MET officials; officials in the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry, as well as the Ministry of Industrialisation, Trade and SME Development.

That makes it sound like a known, ongoing issue.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2019, 01:04:34 AM »

The government says that the animal was causing property damage, and presumably was also a risk to human life. The conservation groups says, as a general statement, "the elephants don't enter human settlements." I couldn't find the press release on their site, and all of the articles appear to be copying the Reuters article. But I did find this (http://www.met.gov.na/news/146/Elephants-wreak-havoc-in-Kavango-West/):

Speaking at an inter-ministerial committee meeting at Nkurenkuru on Monday, Kavango West Regional Council chairperson Joseph Sivaku said close to 300 people in the Tondoro constituency alone have had their crops destroyed by elephants.
The meeting was specifically called to discuss the problem of elephants raiding people's fields and it was attended by the political leadership from Kavango West; MET officials; officials in the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry, as well as the Ministry of Industrialisation, Trade and SME Development.

That makes it sound like a known, ongoing issue.

Yes, but the conversationalists claim that it was a different group of elephants. That Voortrekker was not a part of the group that was causing the damage.

Which group was correct? Did the government shoot the wrong elephant?

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2019, 01:23:28 AM »

Who knows? Clearly I don't because the situation isn't well-reported.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2019, 01:29:42 AM »

Who knows? Clearly I don't because the situation isn't well-reported.

Which is what I said.

personate-rain