Author Topic: Did religion arise as an enforcement mechanism for morality?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Did religion arise as an enforcement mechanism for morality?
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
Are southern Italians middle easterners?

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Did religion arise as an enforcement mechanism for morality?
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
Can you show any examples of older forms requiring specific declarations of ethnicity? I've never seen that.

Nowadays all ethnicities have been consolidated into racial declarations, not just "White/Caucasian." Same goes for "Black/African American," "Asian/Pacific islander," "Middle Eastern/Subcontinent," etc. In many cases they lump all Spanish speakers (including Spaniards) together into one group based on their native language.
The closest thing I can think of is my grandparents immigration papers.  They noted both race and nationality.  I suppose nationality is similar to ethnicity?

And since I always mention it.  My grandfathers race was Irish while his nationality was British.  My grandmother came a bit later and her race was white while her nationality was Irish.

My understanding is that nationality is your citizenship. For example, most Walloons are Belgian nationals. And it turns out that most ethnic Mongols are actually Chinese, rather than Mongolian, nationals. And only a minority of Azerbaijanis are nationals of the country Azerbaijan.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain