Author Topic: Meet Consumption highest contributor to Greenhouse gases  (Read 561 times)

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Meet Consumption highest contributor to Greenhouse gases
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
food that's less healthy and more environmentally destructive.

There is not consensus on either of those points.

But just suppose for the sake of argument that it turns out that a diet high in meat is much healthier than a diet high in grains and other starchy foods.

Would that change the equation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »
suppose for the sake of argument that it turns out that a diet high in meat is much healthier than a diet high in grains

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
suppose for the sake of argument that it turns out that a diet high in meat is much healthier than a diet high in grains

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

you never knew me

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
It was a joke.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »
the physics checks out, but not sure about the economics.  Energy on earth is is nearly all solar, though some is geothermal.  Plants get energy from the sun, animals eat plants, some animals eat those animals.  But each link in the chain has losses due to imperfect energy transfer.  So eating plants reduces the net loss of energy.  Of course this is a very high level analysis and there are going to be many more factors, but at least the idea that eating less meat is better for the environment is plausible.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
the physics checks out, but not sure about the economics.  Energy on earth is is nearly all solar, though some is geothermal.  Plants get energy from the sun, animals eat plants, some animals eat those animals.  But each link in the chain has losses due to imperfect energy transfer.  So eating plants reduces the net loss of energy.  Of course this is a very high level analysis and there are going to be many more factors, but at least the idea that eating less meat is better for the environment is plausible.

The net loss of energy is irrelevant.

What's relevant is the impact on Global Warming (minimal and secondary) and the impact on the environment (there's a lot to improve, but it's not TEOTW).

In short, meat does not meet the criteria for one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gasses, and certainly not the largest.

And, once Tesla comes up with his electric truck powered by renewable energy, and they're put to work in the agriculture industry, that 9% will dwindle to 1%.

All but a fraction of the contribution to greenhouse gasses from agriculture comes from transportation and farm equipment. Very little is direct.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 10:03:46 PM »
One of the direct factors is the removal of forests and other natural carbon stores. I.e. land use.

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/21/6053187/cropland-map-food-fuel-animal-feed

In the Western world, the largest share of land use is in growing feed for livestock. Which makes for a lot of land that could be freed up and rededicated to storing carbon, if we skipped out on the very inefficient process of growing our food in animals that will spend the vast majority of what they eat on their own maintenance.

once Tesla comes up with his electric truck powered by renewable energy, and they're put to work in the agriculture industry, that 9% will dwindle to 1%.

That's assuming a massive growth in renewable energy. Electric trucks won't really be that much of a factor, until we've run out of fossil fuel power plants to replace.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 10:21:02 PM »
One of the direct factors is the removal of forests and other natural carbon stores. I.e. land use.

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/21/6053187/cropland-map-food-fuel-animal-feed

In the Western world, the largest share of land use is in growing feed for livestock.

That is false. You are munging two aspects of raising livestock.

Your own link says it’s 36 %. And it’s probably closer to 33%.

The bulk of the land used for livestock is range land that’s not suitable for crops.
Which makes for a lot of land that could be freed up and rededicated to storing carbon, if we skipped out on the very inefficient process of growing our food in animals that will spend the vast majority of what they eat on their own maintenance.
Not really. The grazing lands wouldn’t store more carbon if they’re not used for grazing.

The crop land is to valuable  to go fallow.

once Tesla comes up with his electric truck powered by renewable energy, and they're put to work in the agriculture industry, that 9% will dwindle to 1%.

That's assuming a massive growth in renewable energy.

Yup.

Electric trucks won't really be that much of a factor, until we've run out of fossil fuel power plants to replace.

Not necessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 10:51:33 PM »
36% is the world overall.

Not really. The grazing lands wouldn’t store more carbon if they’re not used for grazing.

The crop land is to valuable  to go fallow.

Which is why using resources inefficiently and causing emissions needs to have monetary cost to it.

personate-rain
personate-rain