Author Topic: "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones."  (Read 571 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
"Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones."
« on: May 20, 2019, 09:27:45 AM »
WatchMoJo is poking the hornet's nest.

10. His Dark Matter.
("Golden Compass" world."

9. The Watch.
 (Ankh-Morpork PD)

8. The Dark Tower.
(Amazon looks to repair the damage the recent movie did to the series.)

7. The King Killer Chronicles
(Prequel to Kvothe.)

6. Chronicles of Narnia.
(Netflix has right to all seven novels, a first for anyone trying to do the books.)

5. The Wheels of Time
(Robert Jordan's series.)

4. Lovecraft Country.
('Nuff said.)

3. The Witcher
(Apparently a video game(?).)

2. Game of Thrones prequel
(Set in the Age of Heroes.)

1. Lord of the Rings
(Silmarillion sources? 2nd Age at least.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones."
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
I'd given up on "The Watch".  I first heard they were doing it like 5 years ago.  Still nothing.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the WoT.  No idea how it is going to translate.

I'm looking forward to Lovecraft Country.  I enjoyed the book well enough, but with Jordan Peel at the helm I'm starting to really look forward.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
All I'd hope for in this context is that none of them base their story or writing style off of GoT, especially if they have their own original source material.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »
All I'd hope for in this context is that none of them base their story or writing style off of GoT, especially if they have their own original source material.
Martin said Robert Jordan influenced him.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
Yeah, but WoT is more traditional fantasy with somewhat less political elements.  There isn't near as much subversion of expectations or "breaking the wheel" as it were.

It does have some gender problems, but considering the first book was published in '90 and the author was born just after WWII that's kinda to be expected.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:37:35 PM »
Now that we know they can make decent dragons I would really like to see an adult oriented Dragonriders of Pern series.  It has all the elements needed for a great HBO series.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
The kid in me would really love a Dragonlance series.  They made a cartoon of the first book (Kiefer Sutherland voiced Raistlin), but I think it would make a good show that was more acceptable for a younger audience than GoT was.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 02:46:15 PM »
Now that we know they can make decent dragons I would really like to see an adult oriented Dragonriders of Pern series.  It has all the elements needed for a great HBO series.
The original three, then the Harperhall trilogy.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »

Its two series really. The Haperhall could be a second run more for teens as those books runs concurrent with the first three. Then after that they can bring both series together with "All the Weyrs of Pern" I can even see a one off film where the do Dragonsdawn.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 03:11:13 PM »
also David Bradly (Argus Filch, Walder Frey) has to play Lord Fax or Lord Meron

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 03:18:18 PM »

Its two series really. The Haperhall could be a second run more for teens as those books runs concurrent with the first three. Then after that they can bring both series together with "All the Weyrs of Pern" I can even see a one off film where the do Dragonsdawn.
The Dolphins of Pern would be nice to see.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
The Watch is the only one that really excites me.  I'll give lovecraft country a try.  I've found Lovecraft's writing to be a bit.....florid?  IDK, but I'm not a fan, the world he created is fascinating and has lots of potential though.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 04:13:57 PM »
The Watch is the only one that really excites me.  I'll give lovecraft country a try.  I've found Lovecraft's writing to be a bit.....florid?  IDK, but I'm not a fan, the world he created is fascinating and has lots of potential though.
Lovecraft Country isn't actually by Lovecraft.  It doesn't even read like a Lovecraft story.  It's a novel from a couple of years ago that is kind of a collection of stories about a family that runs a "Green Book" kind of printing company during the Jim Crow era.  There are wizards and demons and such found in the travels so it is somewhat Lovecraftian in that way, but it doesn't have that same feel at all.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 04:19:57 PM »
Lovecraft Country isn't actually by Lovecraft.  It doesn't even read like a Lovecraft story.  It's a novel from a couple of years ago that is kind of a collection of stories about a family that runs a "Green Book" kind of printing company during the Jim Crow era.  There are wizards and demons and such found in the travels so it is somewhat Lovecraftian in that way, but it doesn't have that same feel at all.
Is it set in lovecrafts universe?  There have been a number of writers who've written material set in his universe of ancient horrors and what not.   

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
Not really, I don't think.  The protagonist is a Lovecraft fan, as well as a fan of other sci-fi from the era.  There are similarities.  There are ghosts and wizards, ancient societies and the like.  Some eldritch type horror as well.  But it also deals a lot with racism in '50s America.
--Stephen Hawking

personate-rain