Author Topic: "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones."  (Read 804 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones."
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »
So now I'm down to just one of these shows that I have interest in. Lovecraft country seems like a misleading name. 

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
I guess.  I really dug the book, but it wasn't exactly in the Lovecraft world.  I think the show could be well done, or it could be very "Green Book".  Since Jordan Peele signed on, I've felt optimistic.

Ruthanna Emrys, however, has a semi-modern (post WWII) take on Deep Ones that's pretty interesting and it's more or less faithful to the original text (The Shadow Over Innsmouth) but looked at from a different direction.  I don't think anyone is talking about making a movie/tv show about her novels though.  If you want a quick taste, the first book is a small novella named "The Litany Of The Earth".  She writes fairly florid in a similar style as Lovecraft though so you might not dig it either.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
Im thinking of what I could enjoy but also what might capture the public imagination in the same way GoT did.
Im coming up with nothing...The Witcher has a shot on star power and probable budget alone?
GoT prequels could get back people who feel hard done by with the season end.
I would certainly watch either or both.

The Watch hasnt much of a hope I reckon, Pratchett humour has been done well in the tv movies but they have never really done super well.
Wheel of Time would have a great, if very star warsy, first season. If they made some changes then I think it would have potential.

Game of Thrones burn out could be a nail in all Of their coffins though.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
I've enjoyed the live action Discworld movies, so I am hopeful that The Watch can be done well.

I fear Wheel of Time won't do the series justice, but I am hopeful for that as well.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 06:42:25 PM »
I've enjoyed the live action Discworld movies, so I am hopeful that The Watch can be done well.

I fear Wheel of Time won't do the series justice, but I am hopeful for that as well.
To be clear- I LOVE the discworld movies. I just think comedy has a shelf life and it may struggle to find a young audience i GoT numbers.

I would hope a WoT series would fix the many,many,many problems with the book series. If it did then I would be over the fucking moon!

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 06:48:58 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how you do WoT without the gender problems considering the entire world is built around a strict separation of a male and female power.  One you surrender to, the other you strangle.

On the other hand, one thing they could do is take an editing pen to most of the middle books.  As much as we were upset on how the last two seasons of GoT felt rushed, WoT could use a little "rush" in some of those books.  Once Sanderson took over it sped up nicely...but I'm a big Sanderson fan.

Speaking of which, would love to see a Stormlight Archives series, or Mistborn.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 07:11:36 PM »
Well of Souls, please. We'd never run out of material.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how you do WoT without the gender problems considering the entire world is built around a strict separation of a male and female power.  One you surrender to, the other you strangle.

On the other hand, one thing they could do is take an editing pen to most of the middle books.  As much as we were upset on how the last two seasons of GoT felt rushed, WoT could use a little "rush" in some of those books.  Once Sanderson took over it sped up nicely...but I'm a big Sanderson fan.

I dont mind the gender problems tbh.
Its the shit plot of the later books before Sanderson took over that I would like to see fixed.

But yeah, there are probably far better series that are far less problematic. I havent kept up with modern fantasy series as much as I should. Watching the evolution of Matt Cauthon again though would hit a sweet spot for me.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 08:42:49 PM »

I dont mind the gender problems tbh.
Its the shit plot of the later books before Sanderson took over that I would like to see fixed.

But yeah, there are probably far better series that are far less problematic. I havent kept up with modern fantasy series as much as I should. Watching the evolution of Matt Cauthon again though would hit a sweet spot for me.

In WoT I'd want them to embrace and amplify the gender problems in a Handmaid's Tale sort of way.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 03:02:03 AM »
So now I'm down to just one of these shows that I have interest in. Lovecraft country seems like a misleading name.

It is a great book. There are light horror elements and there are Lovecraft aspects in there, but more subtle and less weird than Lovecraft.

The real horror is the racism of the time. Most of the main characters are black. The white characters are generally the villains.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 03:36:03 AM »
I think the handmaids tale only works as a slippery slope for the current gender disparity.
'What if men were the ones who were REALLY oppressed' could really backfire.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 08:01:18 AM »

It's not like I think the books are misogynistic.  Andor only has queens some of which are warrior queens, others more political and wielding "soft" power; the most powerful political group is all women etc.etc.  However, the role of women and men are very stratified in such a way that it is unimaginable to have someone crossing gender lines in this society. 

I think the Aiel with their polygamy where wives have multiple husbands and visa versa would be interesting to see from a modern context.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 11:10:03 AM »
The Witcher is a well known video game series, but it's actually Polish fantasy book series that started in 1993.  I don't have much knowledge of either, but I've heard nothing but good things about the world building and characters.  In fact, that's really what the games are known for as well as the gameplay is usually regarded as acceptable, but nothing special.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »
However, the role of women and men are very stratified in such a way that it is unimaginable to have someone crossing gender lines in this society.

Such that the one time it happens it's a huuuuge deal.

It's not misogyny at all that is an issue with WoT.  It's LGBTQ representation, which is practically nil (nothing substantial beyond an "experimenting in college" trope that would be easy to miss).  It's not vilified, or stereotyped, it's just absent.  And the way the world is set up with gendered magic, it would be... challenging to change that to a large degree.  If it was in there as a story element from the start, then having gay or transgender characters interacting with gendered magic could be an interesting exploration (eg. the authorial choice of a male-presenting trans-woman touching the Source - saidar or saidin?  What would it mean either way?).  But it's not in there from the start.  It's all ladies and gents.

It's invisible to me (or I can allow it to be invisible), as I can identify with a broad swath of characters who are like me, noticing as I get older that my personal viewpoint character shifts from Perrin to Lan to Thom...
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
IIRC there is at least one actual minor lesbian couple in the books (members of Cha Faile).  I mean apart from the "pillow friends" college trope used for tons of Aes Sedai.  I want to think it was also a thing amongst the Aiel.

I would prefer to see more representation.  But again, written buy a guy born after WWII and published in 1990.
--Stephen Hawking