Author Topic: Positive Feedback Has Begun. Humankind has failed.  (Read 1385 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Positive Feedback Has Begun. Humankind has failed.
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 05:56:53 AM »
We’re not quite there with technology to prevent a apocalyptic catastrophe

What specifically does an "apocalyptic catastrophe" mean? 

How about a catastrophe producing massive shifts in the world’s agricultural zones to go along with the expansion of deserts?  How about coastal cities and small island nations rendered uninhabitable by sea level rise?  How about collapse of ecosystems, particularly in the oceans where warming and acidification will expunge corals and many shell-making planktonic species?  Exceeding 2 deg. C of warming will be enough to do all that and more.  It can get much worse, but aren’t those apocalyptic enough?

I'm not insinuating that an environmental catastrophe is not happening. That would run contrary to the preponderance of scientific evidence.

My question was intended to prompt CarbShark to be more specific about his claim, especially with regard to his other claim that some new technology could possibly be developed and implemented in time to save us from the imminent consequences.

But the reply he gave ("The end of the world as we know it") was even more vague and weaselly than the one I was trying to elicit clarification for. That's why I posted the YouTube video of the R.E.M. song (also, because it's a good song.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:08:10 AM by John Albert »

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Positive Feedback Has Begun. Humankind has failed.
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »
Well... Fuck.

Climate change: Arctic permafrost now melting at levels not expected until 2090
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/climate-change-breakdown-arctic-frost-thawing-canada-environment-a8959056.html
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

personate-rain