Author Topic: How to live more environmentally friendly, from a scientific point of view?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
(click to show/hide)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

You mean

All this fetishizing of the French Revolution seems ignorant of the actual history. It was a failed revolution that only succeeded in replacing one oppressive regime with another.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
(click to show/hide)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

You mean

All this fetishizing of the French Revolution seems ignorant of the actual history. It was a failed revolution that only succeeded in replacing one oppressive regime with another.

Nice mansplaining there, we obviously have no idea about the French Revolution and  forcefully inserting your intellectual superiority into the conversation is always the best possible response to a joke.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
It's a joke about killing people, can't expect that much good to come out of it.

If we have to actually do it, society has to be so far gone that it's going to be difficult to rebuild at that point. Once we give up on the law, there are no guarantees of who will be in power next.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
We are talking about people who are committing the worst crime against humanity imaginable, which will cause the collapse of civlisation and potentially hundreds of millions of deaths, purely for their personal, financial gain.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
No. You should do all of that. Because it makes you feel good. I’m all for you feeling good.

Are you going to do anything?

Yes, I will and I am. I like feeling good too, but I don't get carried away and have any notion that it's actually making a difference.

When my family replaces are already high MPG cars it will be with hybrids or all-electric (already have our first hybrid)
Switched from NG heating to electric (more expensive)
No public transport for me at work, but I telecommute whenever I can (2 to 4 days per week)
Buy locally sourced produce and meat
Plus there are a few things I can do at work that make me feel like I'm doing good and helping.

The biggest thing is supporting Democratic candidates that get it. (This is why I prefer Biden to Beto)[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:16:26 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
We are talking about people who are committing the worst crime against humanity imaginable, which will cause the collapse of civlisation and potentially hundreds of millions of deaths, purely for their personal, financial gain.

Hostis Humani Generis
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
The biggest thing is supporting Democratic candidates that get it. (This is why I prefer Biden to Beto)

Those of us ineligible to vote in American elections can't affect even that.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
(click to show/hide)

- Margaret Mead

You mean

Nice mansplaining there, we obviously have no idea about the French Revolution and  forcefully inserting your intellectual superiority into the conversation is always the best possible response to a joke.

If I may ask, how does mansplaining enter into it?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline CarbShark

If I may ask, how does mansplaining enter into it?

I wish you wouldn’t. At least not in this thread were the topic is what, if anything,  can we do to prevent the total and complete collapse of civilization, mass extinctions on a scale not seen since the dinosaurs, and possibly the end of the human race.

Maybe not getting distracted from that would actually help?  Probably more than not using plastic bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Probably more than not using plastic bags.

As for plastic bags, I occasionally buy them when I do grocery shopping. I do reuse them as well, but I also use them for the trash, so they go to the garbage can after a while. The plastic bags themselves say that they are made of recycled plastic, and that they are "climate smart". Is there anything to that, or is that just marketing?

• Reef Tank Owner

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside

I'm afraid it's not that simple. I personally own some stocks and funds, and I suppose many here on this forum do the same. I'd suppose most adults in the Western world do the same, in one way or another. We are all investors in some way, I suppose.

Offline CarbShark

Probably more than not using plastic bags.

As for plastic bags, I occasionally buy them when I do grocery shopping. I do reuse them as well, but I also use them for the trash, so they go to the garbage can after a while. The plastic bags themselves say that they are made of recycled plastic, and that they are "climate smart". Is there anything to that, or is that just marketing?

"climate smart" is a meaningless, subjective marketing term. The real problem with plastics (which are made from bi-products of crude oil refinery) is that they don't readily breakdown and fill up landfills and the ocean. But most of the plastics in the oceans come from India and Asia, due to their handling of waste disposal.

Plastics do slowly degrade and release some greenhouse gasses in the process, but that's a tiny fraction of the problem.

It's like swatting fleas when you're being eaten alive by a tiger.

• Reef Tank Owner

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1135982319376969729

Hope is the bourgeois poison which neutralizes our desire to destroy their machine by casting our bodies into the gears

Offline CarbShark

I'm afraid it's not that simple. I personally own some stocks and funds, and I suppose many here on this forum do the same. I'd suppose most adults in the Western world do the same, in one way or another. We are all investors in some way, I suppose.

Sure   But do you set policy form the companies you own? 

Warren Buffet does. But we don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk