Author Topic: How to live more environmentally friendly, from a scientific point of view?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
I think lonely moa is saying is that we can't all do that, since it won't support anywhere near as many people as there are today.

Or that we can't support as many as people as we do now anyway, because it's not sustainable to produce this much food. We can move away from meat production, do whatever to reduce waste, and new technologies and techniques will continue to increase yield. We might be able to feed a lot more people, for a while. But until we've stopped making climate change worse, and stopped directly damaging the biosphere, no growth that requires fuel consumption or land use, or fishing, is sustainable.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:10:14 PM by 2397 »

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
I think lonely moa is saying is that we can't all do that, since it won't support anywhere near as many people as there are today.

Or that we can't support as many as people as we do now anyway, because it's not sustainable to produce this much food. We can move away from meat production, do whatever to reduce waste, and new technologies and techniques will continue to increase yield. We might be able to feed a lot more people, for a while. But until we've stopped making climate change worse, and stopped directly damaging the biosphere, no growth that requires fuel consumption or land use, or fishing, is sustainable.

It sure looks like lonely moa is promoting sterilization as an alternative to reducing meat consumption or shouldering the burden of feeding more people.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
I'd like to see the developed world's sub-replacement rate broken down factor-by-factor.  How much is from modernity's improvements?  Would be interesting.

To expand on what I mean, some causes of growth are bad.  Therefore, you can reduce growth by improving lives.

You can cut growth by improving lives with factors like:
  • Feminism (e.g. improves female autonomy, women can say no)
  • Healthcare (e.g. improves child mortality, parents can expect their children to live)
  • Modern jobs (e.g. abandonment of subsistence agriculture, kids are no longer combination profit centers/retirement plans)
And I assume that everything about --
  • bringing the developed world down to sustainability
  • bringing the developing world up sustainabily
-- gets easier with fewer people.

I'd like to know how much of a factor this all is
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:32:25 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Vasectomy, home grown food, recycling/upcycling, and minimising air travel.

I've been avoiding air travel. I hardly ever fly anywhere. But it's not because of an environmental concern, it's because I've got no money.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
The problem being that it's not expensive enough to a lot of people. And we need to deal with the problem of wealth inequality at the same time as we make emissions cost what they should.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Every time we go to the grocery store we're buying extra pinto beans, rice, flour, canned goods, coconut oil, salt or other survival/starvation foods. And we're putting it in vacuum bags, and putting those in five-gallon buckets and storing those in a safe place. We plan to keep this up, for a few years until we have about a year's supply of food for us, our daughters and their boyfriends. (1000 calories per day * 8 * 365). Our target will be about 5 million calories.

Why coconut oil? That's pretty unhealthy, even for apocalyptic standards, And aren't they more expensive?

Not at all it’s one of the healthiest fats. It’s also one of the most stable and suitable for cooking at high temperatures.
Also, will you rotate them every few years? Be sure to write down the date.
Haven’t gotten that far. It will be difficult to rotate since we don’t normally eat those foods. But, yes we will date and inventory everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We must be getting our information from different sources. Saturated Fats are called the bad fats while unsaturated are called the good fats. So, I don't know where you are getting this information.

I normally look at what the Foodbabe says, and do the oposite. And check out what mayor health organizations like the American Heart Association recommend.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Yes, CarbShark gets his information from "different" sources. For more information, check out the LCHF and healthy eating thread.