Author Topic: A proposition: Close the Politics sub-forum  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
A proposition: Close the Politics sub-forum
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »
I think a case could be made for closing the Politics sub-forum. The primary reasons would be that it has nothing to do with skepticism, and it doesn't encourage critical thinking. Topics related skepticism that involve politics, for example the Texas Republican Party opposing teaching critical thinking to children, or all the politics surrounding climate change, could appropriately be discussed in the Skepticism / Science Talk.

Some might then argue that the sub-forums for Games, Music, Books, etc, don't really have much connection to skepticism either. But these forums contribute to creating community, which I think is a valuable goal for a skeptical community. The Politics sub-forum can hardly be described as doing that.

In fact, the two already closed sub-forums dedicated to Feminism in Skepticism and Global Warming have obvious connections to skepticism and critical thinking, and could be considered for re-opening. In particular global warming, which is likely to be a dominant topic for the rest of our lives in various ways, when it comes to mitigation and adaption. A sub-forum dedicated to that topic in all of its forms would be very much justified, I think. Though from what I understand it is more scientifically appropriate to call it climate change than global warming, because the planet might not necessarily become warmer everywhere. For example, from what I understand, if the Gulf Stream weakens, some regions of the world might actually become colder than they are today.

But maybe a case can be made for keeping the Politics sub-forum open? If so, what would that be?

Let's make the case. 8)
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: A proposition: Close the Politics sub-forum
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
Even though I feel that the politics forum is sometimes lacking skepticism, the principal of charity and has some group-think tendencies, I do not believe it should be closed. If anyone feels there's no value to that particular forum then they can just ignore it. It seems ridiculous to have it closed.

Politics is a very large and popular topic of conversation. Much more than feminism and even global warming. Both of those can easily fit into another forum without throwing off the balance of topics discussed. If you close the politics forum then you'll just have politics threads all over the general forum. I think a specific place to discuss politics is necessary for any online forum community because people will always want to discuss it. Even if I don't agree with how they go about doing it.

EDIT: typos
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:55:54 AM by Nosmas »
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:45:52 AM »
Ignore the sub you don't like.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »
If we dont have a subforum for an area so impacting on peoples lives and so desperately in need of skeptical analysis then it will just spill over into other sub forums and solve nothing.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
A reminder you can ignore boards you not wish to participate in by goin to your Profile > Modify Profile > Ignore Boards Options:

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
If we dont have a subforum for an area so impacting on peoples lives and so desperately in need of skeptical analysis then it will just spill over into other sub forums and solve nothing.
This, get rid of the politics sub forum and all that crap just spills out elsewhere, all though I don't see much evidence of skeptical analysis in that particular subforum.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
hahahahah. Yes. The answer is reopening the closed-off cesspools. Brilliant.

If you think the Politics board creates contentious conversations, just wait till you get a load of the Feminism and Global Warming boards.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 01:49:06 PM »
I'm assuming you're playing devil's advocate. People who don't like the forum can easily ignore it, more than the rest, since it doesn't appear if you're not logged in.

To me, closing the politics forum and then banning the topics that would've fit on there (if we're not banning them, what's the point?), would make this a much less relevant forum site to me. Politics has a significant role in all the most important topics. Civilization will end if we don't make major political changes. Because of climate change, but the problem with the political system isn't limited to climate change, so the discussion shouldn't be limited to just that.

I put the games and music forums on ignore, because while I play both, I'm not interested in taking part in most of those threads, and they would fill up the unread posts page unnecessarily. I like that politics is banned on some sites, more narrow sites such as a website for a specific video game. But this is a forum site for the "Skeptic's Guide to the Universe". That's not narrow. I'd argue, and I have argued, that the SGU themselves sometimes ignore politics when it doesn't make sense for them to. Given that they care about what's happening to innocent people (and guilty people who still have rights), and it's related to the topics they're already bringing up.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:52:48 PM by 2397 »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
I proposed this once before. Now I understand.

How else will they be able to tell who the actual acceptable skeptics are if they cant make sure they fall in line politically with everyone else.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
Many of us where here before politics sub-forum was created. Image a ton of these threads in the general section and ask if you think that is better? Its unrealistic to ask everyone to never talk about politics on this forum so a walled garden is one of the better solutions. People participate at will, if it bothers you, don't participate.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »
Many of us where here before politics sub-forum was created. Image a ton of these threads in the general section and ask if you think that is better? Its unrealistic to ask everyone to never talk about politics on this forum so a walled garden is one of the better solutions. People participate at will, if it bothers you, don't participate.
Many?  A few maybe. 

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
Hell, I don't remember and I've been here a while.  Of course, it could just be me with a faulty memory.

For my vote, if you don't like it, ignore it.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
I think that closing the Politics subforum is a very bad idea.

There's no reason why skepticism and critical thinking cannot be applied to politics, as it is with anything else. Critical analysis of political issues is imperative to being a properly informed voter, and that's the foundation on which every democratic government depends.

The fact that people disagree and tend to argue about their differences might get uncomfortable sometimes, but it's actually a good thing. That's skeptical discourse in actual practice. It means that ideas are being challenged instead of just being accepted on abject faith.

Instead of trying to squelch all disagreement by shutting down topical conversation, a more productive approach might be to simply encourage respect and charity toward those with whom we disagree.

...and like others have said, it's pretty easy to put the Politics subforum on "Ignore," and avoid reading the kinds of conversations you don't like.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 04:11:23 PM »
It's not the politics subforum where our unpleasant conflict resides these days.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »
It's not the politics subforum where our unpleasant conflict resides these days.

This is a good observation.

I'm of the opinion that most of the threads where these conflicts do reside (including this one, the "cultural appropriation" thread, and others) probably belong in Politics anyway. What's a thread on cultural appropriation doing in General Discussion anyway?

personate-rain
personate-rain