Author Topic: How to drink due to the heat, but not to mess up sleep?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
How to drink due to the heat, but not to mess up sleep?
« on: June 05, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »
So summer is here, and that means that my apartment is turning into an oven, with room temperature between 25-30 C (it might even exceed 30 degrees, as it did last summer) both day and night. That means that one needs to drink a lot of water due to the heat.

But if I drink a lot of water, including before going to bed, I will likely mess up my sleep due to needing to pee.

How to best solve this dilemma?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: How to drink due to the heat, but not to mess up sleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »
So summer is here, and that means that my apartment is turning into an oven, with room temperature between 25-30 C (it might even exceed 30 degrees, as it did last summer) both day and night. That means that one needs to drink a lot of water due to the heat.

But if I drink a lot of water, including before going to bed, I will likely mess up my sleep due to needing to pee.

Get used to it?  Night time pee trips are a regular part of life for many middle-aged men.  I've figured out how to do it with minimal disruption (there is just enough light to not make a mess in the bathroom, but not so much that it triggers full awakening).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »
30c(86F) is hot?

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 05:51:13 PM »
AC. That's the only way to cope with extreme heat for me, the problem being that it's not in a location where it can cool down the bedroom (because its main purpose is as a heater for the rest of the house). Might replace the kitchen table with a bed if there's a repeat of 2018.

I also try to avoid drinking shortly before bed. Sometimes keep a glass of water next to the bed, so that I can drink it later instead of having to get up and get it. I think you should be alright in terms of dehydration if you make sure to drink plenty of water during the day, though.

30c(86F) is hot?

If you live somewhere where that didn't use to be common, yes. Especially during the short northern summer nights where the temperature barely drops before the next day.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:54:31 PM by 2397 »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »

Get used to it?  Night time pee trips are a regular part of life for many middle-aged men.  I've figured out how to do it with minimal disruption (there is just enough light to not make a mess in the bathroom, but not so much that it triggers full awakening).

Hmm, maybe I'll have to work on that then.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »
30c(86F) is hot?

Absolutely. Room temperature is supposed to be about 18-20 C.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
Get an air conditioner.  A small cheap window unit or portable will cool down your bedroom.

Or are those too expensive where you live?   We get them for $90-$150 but it gets so hot in GA you would probably need a bigger one here.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
You could see about taking on a slightly larger volume of water in the early evening? That way most of it is through your system before bed but you shouldn't need to keep drinking? If you do wake up thirsty, its easier to take a sip from the bedside table than to go and pee.

If you are really sweating so much that this isnt helpful then you could try insulating your bedroom during the day to try and keep it cool. Simple things like keeping the door closed, the blinds drawn and maybe even some sort of reflective material over the window.

If THAT doesnt help then you might need to run a fan all night. Something I have done in the past is to put a damp towel across my shoulders or chest to cool me down to a comfortable level. If its super hot then it will be dry by morning.

A big problem in some homes here is that they are designed to trap heat, so even mild temperatures outside can make it hell inside. I dunno if thats an issue in Sweden as you guys get great summers.

(Dunno about Sweden but those window units are about 400quid here.)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »
AC. That's the only way to cope with extreme heat for me, the problem being that it's not in a location where it can cool down the bedroom (because its main purpose is as a heater for the rest of the house). Might replace the kitchen table with a bed if there's a repeat of 2018.

I also try to avoid drinking shortly before bed. Sometimes keep a glass of water next to the bed, so that I can drink it later instead of having to get up and get it. I think you should be alright in terms of dehydration if you make sure to drink plenty of water during the day, though.

30c(86F) is hot?

If you live somewhere where that didn't use to be common, yes. Especially during the short northern summer nights where the temperature barely drops before the next day.

ACs cost thousands of SEK, which is why I have avoided them so far. But maybe I will have to invest in one if this is going to be the new standard.

Maybe drinking a lot of water during the day (which I do) will keep it alright.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 06:24:37 PM »
Get an air conditioner.  A small cheap window unit or portable will cool down your bedroom.

Or are those too expensive where you live?   We get them for $90-$150 but it gets so hot in GA you would probably need a bigger one here.

When I google it, they seem to cost between 3 000 and 6 000 SEK (roughly between 317 and 635 USD).

You could see about taking on a slightly larger volume of water in the early evening? That way most of it is through your system before bed but you shouldn't need to keep drinking? If you do wake up thirsty, its easier to take a sip from the bedside table than to go and pee.

If you are really sweating so much that this isnt helpful then you could try insulating your bedroom during the day to try and keep it cool. Simple things like keeping the door closed, the blinds drawn and maybe even some sort of reflective material over the window.

If THAT doesnt help then you might need to run a fan all night. Something I have done in the past is to put a damp towel across my shoulders or chest to cool me down to a comfortable level. If its super hot then it will be dry by morning.

A big problem in some homes here is that they are designed to trap heat, so even mild temperatures outside can make it hell inside. I dunno if thats an issue in Sweden as you guys get great summers.

I don't really sweat very much, mostly worried about dehydration.

Most houses here are built to trap heat as well, I'd say.

I might look into some of those hints, thank you.:)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
This type of system actually works, I have built one, you don't need to go as expensive as this guy did although his solar solution is pretty cool *pun intended*

You just need a fan, a cheap cooler, even styrofoam works, and a pipe.

A different bathroom solution is to get a urine bottle. I keep one of these because I have a roomate and only one bathroom in the house. You don't have to get out of bed to pee similar to what you would use during a hospital stay. It has a tight cap for when you are done.  I have woken up in the middle of the night and used it before when too tired to get up.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 02:11:47 AM »
This type of system actually works, I have built one, you don't need to go as expensive as this guy did although his solar solution is pretty cool *pun intended*

You just need a fan, a cheap cooler, even styrofoam works, and a pipe.

A different bathroom solution is to get a urine bottle. I keep one of these because I have a roomate and only one bathroom in the house. You don't have to get out of bed to pee similar to what you would use during a hospital stay. It has a tight cap for when you are done.  I have woken up in the middle of the night and used it before when too tired to get up.

I have over a dozen of half finished ones in storage above my tech room at high school.  Great project but the kids lose the enthusiasm if it doesn't finish in two or three classes.  The fan is just a 12V USB affair, a very cool setup (that works).

Mind you, it isn't really very hot here in the summer, even though kiwis think it is (like they think it's cold, as well).

Urine bottles are one's best friend in a polar tent on the Ice. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 03:44:53 AM »

When I google it, they seem to cost between 3 000 and 6 000 SEK (roughly between 317 and 635 USD).

I don't really sweat very much, mostly worried about dehydration.

Most houses here are built to trap heat as well, I'd say.

I might look into some of those hints, thank you.:)
Cool!
Personally, I use my bladder as an alarm clock, Ive figured out my drinking pattern to need to pee at around 7am, because I cant put it on snooze  :laugh:

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
I get up at least once a night to pee.  It's gotten to where it doesn't disturb me.  When I was going through chemo, I had to start peeing sitting down (it's a whole thing if you're on chemo) and it became habitual.  So now I sit to pee.  For some reason, since then it doesn't disturb me near as much to go in the middle of the night.  I have a bathroom in the master bedroom, so I just walk in there, sit, do my business, stand, walk back to bed.  I don't have to worry about the toilet seat, or aiming.  I don't know if switching to sitting will help you or not.  I might have just gotten used to it in my age.

As far as the heat goes, yeah it sucks.  I have central air but it is an older unit and wasn't designed for the heat we've been getting.  It can't keep up on the hotter days.  Living in Kentucky, it used to be pretty rare to get up to 90F during the day.  My AC can't keep up with that level of heat.  If it gets up above 85F or so, my house starts getting up close to 78F even with the AC on.  The unit is 20 or so years old and the climate has changed a bit since then.  I really should replace it, but a new one for my size of house is like 4K USD plus labor if I can't do the work myself.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 09:26:47 AM »
30c(86F) is hot?

Absolutely. Room temperature is supposed to be about 18-20 C.
Sure, its all relative but I grew up without AC in a place that was 38C+ for weeks on end without any cooldown at night.  Granted, Living anywhere that drops below 0 for more than a few days at a time seems horrifying.

Anyrate, you can totally get used to it or get AC. I used to put a box fan in the the window with a wet towel over it.  Sleep on the floor rather than a bed, the surfaces don't get as hot, unless its carpet.  No sheets, either naked or just your skivvies and learn to sleep spread eagle. 

Run the fan all night and lock up the place tight during the day.  It also helps to not hang out inside your home during the day. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:29:34 AM by Ah.hell »

personate-rain