Author Topic: How to drink due to the heat, but not to mess up sleep?  (Read 839 times)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: How to drink due to the heat, but not to mess up sleep?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »
From what I learned spending a lot of time in the tropics:

Fans are great, if you don't have AC. I personally prefer them.

Hammocks are where you want to sleep in hot weather. Beds are the worst if the heat is too high

Keep water at hand in case you wake up thirsty, it is really easy to get used to getting up to peeeven a couple times a night.

Don't overdress for sleeping. You don't need a full set of pyjamas, and especially don't need socks. Also, get a thin, light blanket (or avoid it altogether if you can)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 04:46:32 PM »
Sure, its all relative but I grew up without AC in a place that was 38C+ for weeks on end without any cooldown at night.  Granted, Living anywhere that drops below 0 for more than a few days at a time seems horrifying.

Very interesting. I read somewhere that 35 C is when it starts to become potentially dangerous for humans.

It seems so far that the summer of 2018 was exceptional, and things are now back to how they used to be. I.e summer mostly being a breeze for a few months.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
Sure, its all relative but I grew up without AC in a place that was 38C+ for weeks on end without any cooldown at night.  Granted, Living anywhere that drops below 0 for more than a few days at a time seems horrifying.

Very interesting. I read somewhere that 35 C is when it starts to become potentially dangerous for humans.

It seems so far that the summer of 2018 was exceptional, and things are now back to how they used to be. I.e summer mostly being a breeze for a few months.

35c = 95f. Not potentially dangerous for humans.

110f =43c. That's when it becomes potentially dangerous for humans.

(For elderly, and those with medical issues it may be closer to 100 or 105f, but 95f is a walk in the park)
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 06:54:33 PM »
A wet-bulb temperature of 35°C or higher is when extended exposure becomes deadly for anyone, because the body can't shed heat. E.g. 35°C at 100% humidity, or 49°C at 40% humidity.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
When I was living in Seville, Spain, I saw 45 C. A friend told me that she had seen 50 C. People died on that occasion. Lots of folks there don't have A/C and in the evening when the sun goes down people flock out into the streets. In summer the wind comes from the south, over the Sahara, across the straits, and into Andalusia, the southernmost province of Spain, of which Seville is the capital. It's an extremely dry heat, and after North Dakota I loved it. At 40 C. I would go for long walks along the Guadalquivir. A hat and plenty of water required.

I run the A/C here. I love walking along the beach in the sun when it's hot, and going into the water. But when I get back home I want a shower and a room cooled to about 79 F.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online CarbShark

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
A wet-bulb temperature of 35°C or higher is when extended exposure becomes deadly for anyone, because the body can't shed heat. E.g. 35°C at 100% humidity, or 49°C at 40% humidity.

Interesting... Living in deserts most of my life I've had plenty of 110 - 115f days, but with low humidity.

Just last year I reffed a boy's U19 soccer game where the temperature was 105f  After that weekend our league put a 102f limit for games.

I have also lived in some very humid areas, where 100% humidity wasn't uncommon at 85f and that was miserable.

So, sure, 95f or more with 100% humidity could be pretty bad.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »
I find high humidity miserable whether the temperature is hot or cold. Surprisingly, it's not terribly humid here. Right now (3:15 p.m.) it's 88 F. and 60%. I was in Cuba when it was actually a bit chilly but the humidity was so high I was miserable. The window A/C in the hotel would take out the humidity, but turn the room into an ice box.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »
I once worked underground (foolishly) for a year or so and the drifts I worked in were generally ankle deep in water and cooled to maybe 40o.  that was miserable.

I did spend a decade doing mineral exploration in the western US and I recall days seeing the number on the bank thermometer being 115 as we drove back to the Best Western after a ten hour day where nothing grew higher than or knees.  Mind you, there were months of temps hovering at freezing and constant light precipitation in the NW because the mosquitoes were bad enough to stall projects in the summer.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »

I did spend a decade doing mineral exploration in the western US and I recall days seeing the number on the bank thermometer being 115 as we drove back to the Best Western

But it's a dry heat.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »

I did spend a decade doing mineral exploration in the western US and I recall days seeing the number on the bank thermometer being 115 as we drove back to the Best Western

But it's a dry heat.

It's still hot, but we were all quite accustomed to it and the location allowed for minimal clothing, we all sported a total tan with sock lines.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

personate-rain
personate-rain