Author Topic: Question about childe safety and people.  (Read 304 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Question about childe safety and people.
« on: June 06, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
So currently, recommendations are to keep your child rear facing in a car for as long as they fit.  Everyone I know with a small child(except my wife and I) seem to move their kids to forward facing as soon as they can.  WTF?  Why, the kids don't know any better so its not like they're asking for it. 

I really don't get it. 

Online st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Question about childe safety and people.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »
So currently, recommendations are to keep your child rear facing in a car for as long as they fit.  Everyone I know with a small child(except my wife and I) seem to move their kids to forward facing as soon as they can.  WTF?  Why, the kids don't know any better so its not like they're asking for it. 

I really don't get it.

Anecdote alert!

My nephew hated his car seat. Any time he would ride in the car he would spend the entire time screaming. Doesn't make for a very pleasant car ride for anybody. As soon as his parents were able to turn him around to front facing, suddenly he stopped screaming. Once he was able to see things, look around, etc. It was a much better experience for all.

Other parents may have similar experiences.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 04:01:49 PM »
Well, my stuff is just anecdote too, so no more valid than yours.  In my experience, the kids just kind go with the backward facing seat.  Sometimes they throw a fit but its mostly just because sometimes kids throw fits. 

Online st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »
Well, my stuff is just anecdote too, so no more valid than yours.  In my experience, the kids just kind go with the backward facing seat.  Sometimes they throw a fit but its mostly just because sometimes kids throw fits.

Yep, every kid is different. Some (most?) kids are fine with it, others aren't

FWIW. He very rarely rode in the car, so every time he did it was a new and scary experience.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline skepticahjumma

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:01:43 PM »
When my kids were little, we were told we could turn the car seat earlier than they recommend now. But one factor I remember is that as they get bigger, their little legs get more folded up when they face the back seat. It might me a question of perceived comfort.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 10:51:05 PM »
Other than (maybe) swapping the relative safety of front vs rear collisions, what's the difference?

personate-rain
personate-rain