Author Topic: Good Omens  (Read 559 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Good Omens
« on: June 07, 2019, 03:17:25 AM »
To lead: the book is an all-time favorite. 3 episodes into the show, and it's everything I could have hoped for. Casting is wonderful, dialogue flows, and the few changes I've noticed seemed only to benefit of the visual media. I think Pratchett would be proud, and I'm ecstatic.

Came here expecting to comment in a thread Belgarath had already started....

Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Good Omens
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:10:45 AM »
I haven't read the book since the mid 90s.  I love Pratchett but for a long time I would never re-visit books.  When I heard this show was coming, I thought I'd re-read the book but then I decided not to re-read till after I had watched the show.

I've only seen the first episode and I really liked it.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
My wife and I have seen the first 3. Sooooooo good. This show is her introduction to Pratchett, but not Gaiman: we both really enjoyed Lucifer. I think we were late in S02 when she pointed out that Gaiman came up with this version of Lucifer. She's enjoying Good Omens so much she wants to read the novel now.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
It's a good show!  It's light and entertaining with some really good jokes.  I loved the bit about the numbers.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
I'm up to episode 3. Loved the book, loving the show.

I guess it's about time to reread the book. BTW: I own the white cover with Crowley. Kinda want to own the one with Aziraphale.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »
We're trying to decide if we can watch this with 8yo in the room.  She doesn't like jump scares, and has been shown several recent Marvel movies (ie. Black Panther, Captain Marvel)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
We're trying to decide if we can watch this with 8yo in the room.  She doesn't like jump scares, and has been shown several recent Marvel movies (ie. Black Panther, Captain Marvel)

I don't think there are any jump scares. There are mature topics, like crucifixions, war, famine, pollution, death, a tiny bit of nudity (while in Eden), the general awfulness of religions and people in general...

But no jump scares.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »

For the first 3 eps at least (as far as I've seen) I think you're ok. Brief gunfight before cutaway with people falling, but no blood. Some demons have gross stuff on their face and are a bit scary looking, but come off as buffoonish. There could be some dark imagery as more of the horsemen are introduced, but I wouldn't expect it to be too severe.

I haven't read the book since the mid 90s.  I love Pratchett but for a long time I would never re-visit books.  When I heard this show was coming, I thought I'd re-read the book but then I decided not to re-read till after I had watched the show.

I've only seen the first episode and I really liked it.

Pratchett is the only author I re-read with any frequency. His wit, satire, and wordplay just sing to me.  I strongly recommend his end of life compilations (with wonderful annotations) if you haven't already read them... you'll laugh, and you'll probably cry.

A Slip of the Keyboard and A Blink of the Screen

Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 08:38:10 AM »
I re-read the Discworld right before the final book was released.  I never did go back and re-read Good Omens though.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
Just finished the show. It was pretty good...
The bits with the angels and demons really stood out as incredibly enjoyable, but the bits with the humans often left a bit to be desired through dialogue and delivery.
Random and unnecessary sex scene in the penultimate episode. Played for laughs but could still lead to awkward questions parents may not want to field. (Just showing different facial expressions of the two characters. As mild as a sex scene could be but there none the less.)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
Random and unnecessary sex scene in the penultimate episode. Played for laughs but could still lead to awkward questions parents may not want to field. (Just showing different facial expressions of the two characters. As mild as a sex scene could be but there none the less.)

That perfectly describes how the same scene happened in the book, so good job. :)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »

That perfectly describes how the same scene happened in the book, so good job. :)
Absolutely! It was fun to watch!
I just know that some here are watching with their kids so I felt it could be relevant.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
Ok, you convinced me to turn amazon back on.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
Well, time has passed and now we won't be able to watch it until September.  :P  The waiting continues.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 12:50:36 PM »
Watched e04 last night. The sex scene captured the feeling from the book. Adam's development was very well done too.

personate-rain
personate-rain