Author Topic: How much carbon is sequestered in plastic?  (Read 247 times)

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
How much carbon is sequestered in plastic?
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
I'm not sure how to figure this out. The question occurred to me when thinking about what plastic-eating bacteria would turn the plastic into. I'd expect one of the outputs of decomposition of plastic would be CO2. But how much?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: How much carbon is sequestered in plastic?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:42:47 PM »
https://www.bpf.co.uk/Press/Oil_Consumption.aspx

>Only 4% of global oil production is used for plastics.  87% is used for transport, energy and heating and simply burnt and lost.

So presumably up to 4.6% as much as has been released from the burning of oil. Depending on how that stat looks over time, and how much of historic plastic that's still plastic.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:00:32 PM »
https://www.bpf.co.uk/Press/Oil_Consumption.aspx

>Only 4% of global oil production is used for plastics.  87% is used for transport, energy and heating and simply burnt and lost.

So presumably up to 4.6% as much as has been released from the burning of oil. Depending on how that stat looks over time, and how much of historic plastic that's still plastic.
Plastics has its own PR firm. Who knew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
Thanks!

Imagine that 4.1% of plastics are stable and used in durable products. (I don't have data on durable/disposable here - just spitballing.) The other 0.5% of global oil production ends up as garbage plastic, mostly in the oceans. Tomorrow, a microorganism evolves to eat that plastic. Through the miracle of exponential growth, in a few months that 0.5% of global oil is now being converted into CO2 (and other metabolic waste).

Is the CO2 more or less worse than the plastic pollution as plastic?

I know that the actual percentages matter in the answer. I've never heard anyone ever talk about sequestration in plastic though, so I'm looking for some notions around what it means.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain