Author Topic: Episode #726  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Episode #726
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »
Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Anne Dagg; News Items: WHO and TCM, Solar Cell Defect Solved, Mutation Affects HIV and Flu, Defense Lasers; Who's That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Closest Planet; Science or Fiction

(click to show/hide)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #726
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Back to the topic of weighing convenience gained vs. damage caused, I don't see what tremendous benefit these satellite swarms have that would justify them visibly streaking the sky. There's no technological limitation that's preventing us from giving the masses, including rural communities, fast internet access. We can do that on the ground, as Cara pointed to.

But I strongly disagree with the statement that the "entire economy is built on advertising". Facebook isn't the economy, Facebook is a parasite. People feed it their private information, and that's what it lives off of. If Facebook and similar ad-related platforms disappeared, it wouldn't stop anything from being manufactured that there was demand for. Advertising can influence demand and which providers succeed where others fail, but advertising doesn't create anything that is vital. Instead it probably leads to a lot of consumption that we would be better without, mainly because there is far too much consumption, and we desperately need to cut back on it.

For a long time the SGU didn't need advertising to be able to exist (can't say how big of a role it has now, without seeing their accounts). They did it all on their own, utilizing their own free time, the tools they bought, but also open source code and protocols that had been created for the good of society as a whole. Through other's free time and through public investments. Advertising is just paying someone to tell someone else to buy your stuff, and most of the time they don't. It's not very efficient.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:36:03 PM by 2397 »

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
When Jay mentioned that frying bacon can sound like rain it reminded me of the following auditory illusion called the McGurk effect. Maybe it is well known but I was unfamiliar with it until recently.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 07:20:15 PM »
There were so many things I wanted to call out in today’s episode that it’s probably a good thing there was no thread while I was watching it. Of course now I cannot remember any of them—which is probably just as well.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey . . . Birutė Galdikas.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »
For a long time the SGU didn't need advertising to be able to exist (can't say how big of a role it has now, without seeing their accounts). They did it all on their own, utilizing their own free time, the tools they bought, but also open source code and protocols that had been created for the good of society as a whole. Through other's free time and through public investments. Advertising is just paying someone to tell someone else to buy your stuff, and most of the time they don't. It's not very efficient.

I don't think the reason for the ads was for the SGU to continue to exist, but to expand their activities. I recall from reading an interview that Steve was initially reluctant to monetize the SGU. It was Jay who argued for it as it became more and more common among podcasts, and eventually Steve warmed to the idea.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
I guess I should try to get more people riled up about ads, if commonality is what it takes.

Of course they've started cutting themselves off more from the typical listener, by having a pay-only forum system that they give more attention to. They're also the ones who aren't subjected to the ads, so they won't get much feedback about ads there.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »
The ads are fine.  You’re fucking obsessed.  Get over it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Zelda McMuffin

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
I don't give a sh*t what the *content* is of an ad projected onto the moon (!), or what the motivation is for whatever sky pollution people dream up; I want there to be some kind of agreement about what's allowed. Is there?

The idea of the tragedy of the commons repeating, further into the solar system without any consensus among us about our goals and safety/aesthetic red lines is just... depressing. There's probably a great seven-syllable German word for the feeling.

Yeah, I'm a hippie. Sue me.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:40:40 PM by Zelda McMuffin »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
The ads are fine.  You’re fucking obsessed.  Get over it.

That's a fine opinion, but it's not much of an argument.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
I’m not making an argument.  I’m telling you that you’re obsessed with this issue and it’s incredibly annoying.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
It's definitely one of the topics I'm likely to talk about when it comes up, as it did in this episode. If you find that it happens so often that it's annoying to you, there's an ignore list.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
I’m not making an argument.  I’m telling you that you’re obsessed with this issue and it’s incredibly annoying.
While I largely agree with you, that's a bit harsh.  Sure, I'm tone policing, which is also annoying.....

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »
I got into discussion about Roundup the other day. The fellow I was talking to insisted emphatically that it has been proven to cause cancer. His source? The World Health Organization! It did no good to argue that the WHO was relying on one outlying study, that it is politically motivated, or that every other study has shown it to be safe, and that if farmers cannot use Roundup they will use chemicals that are worse. Trying to argue the difference in the technical meanings of hazard and risk would have been pointless. The WHO has spoken, as far as the New Age crowd is concerned.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
If ad revenue help keep the show going, more power to them.