Author Topic: Episode #726  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Zelda McMuffin

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #726
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
I think the way they've funded the SGU is well-considered and fair.
Also, the content is still great. I've been listening since 2006 when my first baby was born and I needed to hear the skinny on vaccines because we were living in California at the time and it was very difficult to separate signal from noise.  Over time, they've settled into a good format that maybe doesn't allow for the long discussions they used to have (or long monologues *ahem* Quickie with Bob), but overall the analysis it's still there and they've deftly navigated a lot of the US political drama and atheist/skeptic infighting other podcasts have been sucked into.
So, I might kvetch with my spouse about the inevitable errors that pop into the show, (which almost always get corrected) but we're both really grateful for all the hard work the SGU people do and don't mind listening to ads/paying for ad-free.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »
A lot of the SGU’s ads seemed to me not appropriate.  Mattresses and socks aren’t really a sceptical concern.

I think that's an unfair criticism. Ads are to raise money. The thing being advertised need not have a skeptical concern. As long as they're not advertising something that's dishonest. But that applies to any medium and any program. TV stations that run ads for quack medicines are reprehensible. I see no inherent problem with the SGU advertising mattresses and socks. My only issue would be if they make false statements, such as "These socks are the most comfortable I've ever worn," if they've actually worn socks they felt were more comfortable.

The need to raise money through advertising (which I accept) does not justify being dishonest in the advertisement. I don't know if they are doing that. But it's a very slippery matter when a trusted host is touting a product. And I suspect that it's common for podcast hosts to do just that, and justify it to themselves with, "Well, all my listeners know that I'm being hyperbolic because it's an ad." There seems to be a widespread view that "opinions" are not objective truths, so it's okay to lie when giving your own opinions. "It's okay for me to lie about my own opinions, because after all, it's just opinions, and somebody could have that opinion." NO! When you are in a position of trust, taking money to lie about your own opinion is a form of prostitution. Stick with something like, "These are pretty good socks. Please buy them because the company is giving us money to make this show possible."

Advertising is fundamentally dishonest. Be honest about that fact in the ad.  ;)

Note: I am speaking in generalities. I have no idea what SGU ads are like since I don't hear them.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
When I was listening to the SGU, the ads didn’t particularly bother me.  Other podcasts I listened to (such as Michael Connelly’s one) contained more ads, and more obtrusive ones. 

But at least Michael Connelly’s ads were appropriate to his audience, being recommendations for crime books or crime prevention security equipment. 

A lot of the SGU’s ads seemed to me not appropriate.  Mattresses and socks aren’t really a sceptical concern.

Most skeptics use both, and many of the products are for lovers of science and science education (kiwico & Great Courses +)

Every ad doesn't have to be skeptically related. Why put that limiting factor on what advertising revenue you can access. As long as they don't have anything that is anti-skeptical.

I don't mind the ads. I have even bought products that I first heard of on a podcast. So they do work.

Offline sqwerty

• Off to a Start
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 04:06:46 AM »
Regarding the talk of advertising on the moon.

Forgive my naivety as I’m not an astronomer, but is the moon ever directly over the top of the equator at night?

If it is, would that mean that people in the northern and southern hemisphere’s (close to the equator) could see the moon at the same time?

If yes again, then how would they advertise to both hemispheres at the same time because the moon is seen upside down in the southern hemisphere? Would they have to split it in two thus making the ad half the size?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 08:04:50 AM »

Forgive my naivety as I’m not an astronomer, but is the moon ever directly over the top of the equator at night?

If it is, would that mean that people in the northern and southern hemisphere’s (close to the equator) could see the moon at the same time?

If yes again, then how would they advertise to both hemispheres at the same time because the moon is seen upside down in the southern hemisphere? Would they have to split it in two thus making the ad half the size?

That the Moon would appear ‘upside down’ to people in the southern hemisphere is not something that I had ever considered.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I imagine that such an advertisement would be oriented for the 88% of the world’s population that lives in the northern hemisphere. That said, any such advertisement would probably be a simple logo, and should be easily recognizable in either orientation.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
I guess the Outer Space Treaty needs to be updated.

Offline sqwerty

• Off to a Start
Episode #726
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »

That the Moon would appear ‘upside down’ to people in the southern hemisphere is not something that I had ever considered.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I imagine that such an advertisement would be oriented for the 88% of the world’s population that lives in the northern hemisphere. That said, any such advertisement would probably be a simple logo, and should be easily recognizable in either orientation.

I watch a lot of flat earth debunking videos and the moon being upside down is often cited as proof we're on a ball (even though they won't accept it ).

But I agree that majority might rule in that scenario as I also forgot that the majority of people are in the northern hem.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 04:50:52 PM »
People in the southern hemisphere could read the ad just by standing on their heads. Or by bending over and looking between their legs. The moon isn't big enough for text on it to be readable with the naked eye. And there'd only be room for one logo. Who gets to decide whose logo goes when? Without an international agreement, they'll all be up at once and none of them will be discernible.

The whole flat Earth thing is weird. Is it even possible to believe in that without being mentally ill? Though I suspect that most of them don't believe it at all, and only think it's a silly way to have fun.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 06:17:08 PM »
Given how small the moon is in the sky, I imagine normal ads would not be practical. You could probably get a single coloured letter to show up to the naked eye if it covered the whole thing? Maybe a simple logo? But made of light, not a structure.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Episode #726
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »
Given how small the moon is in the sky, I imagine normal ads would not be practical. You could probably get a single coloured letter to show up to the naked eye if it covered the whole thing? Maybe a simple logo? But made of light, not a structure.

A Nike Swoosh?

The CBS eye?

The name Trump?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:05:59 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »
Putting an ad on the moon wouldn’t be very effective and would also be very expensive.  I’ve never been impressed by the supposed ‘Man in the Moon.’  Trying to ‘paint’ the surface of the moon somehow would be extremely expensive. The full moon just shows a haphazard arrangement of darker and lighter areas.  Whatever ad could be added, could also be similarly ignored.  And shining light on the new moon would just be lost in the brightness of the day sky.  Do you actually know where to look for the new moon?  Actually, I’m going to be doing that in little over a week.  There’s a total solar eclipse in Chile.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »

A Nike Swoosh?

The CBS eye?

The name Trump?

I thought of the first one, can imagine the second, and vomited after that.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 10:05:51 PM »

A logo that's an ambigram would work.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Zelda McMuffin

• Off to a Start
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »

A logo that's an ambigram would work.
Cool! Also, shh! Don't give them any ideas

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 12:04:37 AM »
The average albedo of the moon is only about 0.12 -- roughly the albedo of aged asphalt.  One might conceivably scatter high-albedo particulates to increase albedo by a factor of 2-3. It would not require full coverage, and it could be done with something as simple as water ice.  The result might be something like this:

For full effect, position yourself so that your thumb, at arms length, just covers the disk of the moon. A non-trivial effect, don't you think?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:16:47 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell