Author Topic: "A wealthy televangelist explains his fleet of private jets"  (Read 778 times)

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
Re: "A wealthy televangelist explains his fleet of private jets"
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
Someone Collects Pics Of Preachers Wearing Expensive Designer Items To Show The Other Side Of Church

https://www.boredpanda.com/church-leaders-pastors-expensive-shoes-preachersnsneakers/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »
Some of those are fine, really.  I would think the pastor of a somewhat large church could afford to splurge on a pair of $350 kicks for their spouse.  Hell, my wife bought me a bottle of whiskey last year that costs more than that.

I'm less worried about a possible one-off pair of sneakers than I am the shit like $100,000 sports cars and million dollar homes.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
I did security at a black church that had been repossessed a few years ago. It would have been on the verge of Mega-Church by its  size I believe - Believed it could seat something like a thousand but normal appeared to be around five hundred with a scandal causing that number of crash.

I was able to wander around the building. By this time, I had my Fx-8350 so it would have been maybe three years ago. In the secretaries office and other staff members, their offices were basically utilitarian and their computers were Pentium 4s with CRT displays.

On the other hand, the pastor and his wife's computers were state of the art. Their offices was not utilitarian with what looked like real wood desks, china cabinets, and the pastor even had his own throne. His book shelves were filled with money making books, not religious interpretation.

You really should look at what the difference between how the pastor and his congregation lives. Note also that there were credit card scanners in the main chapel area.

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I think if churches want to be tax free they should have to step through the same hoops secular charities have to.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 11:08:12 PM »
Some of those are fine, really.  I would think the pastor of a somewhat large church could afford to splurge on a pair of $350 kicks for their spouse.  Hell, my wife bought me a bottle of whiskey last year that costs more than that.

I get it that different people have different tastes. But it boggles my mind that a bottle of whisky would be worth $350 to anybody.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 06:42:14 AM »
It was my birthday last June.  It's still 3/4 full or so.  Laphroaig 25.  That was the single most expensive birthday present she's ever bought me.  Although, one year she bought me a hand made butchers block on a rolling kitchen cart and a Kindle Oasis for the same birthday, so that ran up to like $700.  Anyway, point being, we don't usually spend near that on one purchase.  My usual scotch purchases are under 100, my bar-standard bourbon and scotch both selling for about $45.

I honestly would rather spend a couple hundred on whiskey or food than I would on a single pair of shoes.  My most expensive footwear is a pair of boots I paid like $130 for.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »
It was my birthday last June.  It's still 3/4 full or so.  Laphroaig 25.

Gee, that's about 1/4 of a bottle every 4 months. I salute your self-control.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
I wonder if he is actually a believer or the whole thing is a scam to him on every level.

That's what I wonder as well.

Jesus loves people. Jesus especially loves people who give me money! ;D
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain