Author Topic: "A wealthy televangelist explains his fleet of private jets"  (Read 841 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
A wealthy televangelist explains his fleet of private jets: ‘It’s a biblical thing’

In the waning days of 2015, renowned televangelist Kenneth Copeland laid out exactly why he needs a luxury private jet to do his job: You can’t “talk to God” while flying commercial.

Criticized at the time for his use of extravagant planes, Copeland argued that travel for his work would be difficult, nay, impossible without them. The Texas-based preacher invoked his mentor, prosperity gospel preacher Oral Roberts, who Copeland said faced unsolicited requests for prayer when he flew on public airliners, “agitating his spirit.”

“You can’t manage that today, in this dope-filled world, get in a long tube with a bunch of demons,” Copeland told fellow televangelist Jesse Duplantis, who has faced similar backlash for asking his followers to bankroll a $54 million jet. “And it’s deadly.”

Last month, the preacher was asked to clarify his remarks by Lisa Guerrero, a reporter for news magazine Inside Edition. Their exchange recently went viral, reigniting conversations about televangelists and the tax-exempt status of churches.

Some took exception to how Copeland addressed Guerrero throughout the interview; he referred to her as “baby” and appeared to dodge one question by complimenting her eyes. He drew passages from the books of Ephesians and Galatians in his various responses and eventually cited Oral Roberts again, who Copeland says “took the same heat for believing God would prosper you.”

Speaking with Copeland last month, Guerrero mentioned that both of her grandfathers were poor preachers who were “extremely offended” by those who made money through the practice.

Copeland said he loved Guerrero’s grandfathers, adding that he was “standing on their shoulders.”

How come there is a market for such charlatans?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: "A wealthy televangelist explains his fleet of private jets"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »

Because of the unfortunate fact that most people in this country are ill-educated and credulous.

The situation could be improved by better education for all. But unfortunately the businessmen, religious leaders and politicians who run the country won't allow that because it enables them to keep perpetrating their scams.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:26:18 PM »
This is what you get when you believe that God rewards faith with wealth.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:21:49 AM »
This is what you get when you allow businesses based on lies to operate with no accountability from government.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
I wonder if he is actually a believer or the whole thing is a scam to him on every level.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
I wonder if he is actually a believer or the whole thing is a scam to him on every level.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, and this is why belief shouldn't be a factor in law. Judge them by their actions.

In what type of charity work would this waste of resources be necessary? If you have problems traveling, there are many alternatives, could even hire someone else to represent you. You could pay for dozens of people to work for you for many years for the same price as just purchasing the plane.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:52:41 AM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »

Because people are stupid. And because people brainwash their kids from before they can talk to accept the idiocy that is religion without question. And because consumer-protection laws give exemptions to "religious" institutions, allowing them to openly commit fraud by selling something that they cannot deliver on.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »

Ultimately it doesn't matter, and this is why belief shouldn't be a factor in law. Judge them by their actions.

Exactly.

Online CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »

I like Christopher Hitchens' comment after the death of a similar con artist (I think it was Oral Roberts) but it applies to this guy as well: "If you gave him an enema you could bury him in a matchbox."

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »

I have trouble believing that those promoting prosperity gospel are anything other than charlatans.
There are however other religious type that I think it is valuable to understand their real motivations.
For example, I have found a handful of people who are pro life that also are willing to support better social support for pregnant mothers and afterwards.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:40:35 AM »
I have trouble believing that those promoting prosperity gospel are anything other than charlatans.

I'm not so sure about that.

I once heard a reformed con man say something to the effect that it's surprisingly easy to fool yourself into believing all kinds of nonsense when it's making you filthy rich.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 08:04:35 PM »
Also, it's fiendishly difficult to tell the difference between someone who sincerely believes in the Prosperity Gospel and someone who is a deliberate and knowing con artist.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
"It's God's will." Easy.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 12:09:38 PM »
Yeah, all we have to do is ask God.

Oh, wait...

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
I guess we need a universal private jet program, so that everyone can go up there on their own to talk to God.