Author Topic: "To Boldly F**king Go" or "Say fascinating again Vulcan f**ker, I dare you!"  (Read 992 times)

Offline BilLumberg

• Not Enough Spare Time
I enjoy Tarantino's movies, and will watch and most likely enjoy this one, but I wonder why not just do like The Orville and create a original (though very similar) universe. His movies already have a feeling of existing in a reality that is just a bit shifted from normal anyways.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
It's easier to get funding for a known franchise than a new project.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
It's easier to get funding for a known franchise than a new project.

For Tarantino?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline CarbShark

Yes. For Tarantino. Especially a big budget science fiction production.

I would say that most of the big decisions in movies (what scripts to buy, option, write; who to cast; who to direct; what happens in the story) are based on trying to get funding.

Once you understand that so much makes sense.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
I definitely know that several years ago he was on Hardwick's podcast and talked about how his one dream project would be a Star Trek movie, on his own terms.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512

I would say that most of the big decisions in movies (what scripts to buy, option, write; who to cast; who to direct; what happens in the story) are based on trying to get funding.

I would think that if Tarantino wanted to make a movie about paint drying, studios executives would be lining up, blank checks in hand.

Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline CarbShark

I would think that if Tarantino wanted to make a movie about paint drying, studios executives would be lining up, blank checks in hand.

There are very few directors with that kind of clout. (I can think of only one, and his name isn't JJ or Clint or Quentin).

Studio executives actually don't "write the checks." They get investors (often banks, or billionaires) to put the money up.

(That said, if Tarantino wanted to make a low-budget independent film, he would find it fairly easy to get funding.)

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
I can't work up any strong feelings pro or con since this will only be released in the same alternate universe as David Lynch's Return of the Jedi, David Cronenberg's Total Recall, James Cameron's Spider-man, Tim Burton's Superman Lives, Joe Dantes Godzilla, and George Lucas' Apocalypse Now. Studio executives have a lot more spine in that universe and movie audiences much more adventurous.

Secondly, sad that when we read R-rating the only things we can think of are gratuitous F-bombs, excessive gore, and indulgent nudity. Complex themes and adult subject matter? Nah, just blood and tits.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Unless the complex issues are related to sex, violence, or drug use, there's no real reason it can't be pg-13.  Also, I think people are more assuming that because of who the director is less than the rating itself.

Offline CarbShark

I can't work up any strong feelings pro or con since this will only be released in the same alternate universe as David Lynch's Return of the Jedi, David Cronenberg's Total Recall, James Cameron's Spider-man, Tim Burton's Superman Lives, Joe Dantes Godzilla, and George Lucas' Apocalypse Now. Studio executives have a lot more spine in that universe and movie audiences much more adventurous.

Secondly, sad that when we read R-rating the only things we can think of are gratuitous F-bombs, excessive gore, and indulgent nudity. Complex themes and adult subject matter? Nah, just blood and tits.

Those won't get and R-rating anymore without at least some of the other. (The gore and nudity don't need to be excessive or indulgent, but it helps)

personate-rain