Author Topic: Homeopathy is big in Germany. The Battle against it is finally heating up.  (Read 437 times)

Offline PatrickG

• Not Enough Spare Time
Jan Böhmermann (the German John Oliver) did a strong takedown of Homeopathy on German national television today:

https://www.zdf.de/comedy/neo-magazin-mit-jan-boehmermann/neo-magazin-royale-mit-jan-boehmermann-vom-13-juni-2019-100.html

(Trigger warning: You will need to understand German and use a vpn to teleport yourself to Germany. The part starts at the 9-minute mark).

There is little/no coverage of the non-English speaking skeptics on the SGU. Germany is the birthplace of Homeopathy: 56% of the people believe it works and there are many, many homeopathic ‘doctors’, and every pharmacy prominently sells quack products . Treatments are covered by all insurances even though there is no proof of efficacy. It is a huge business in the largest country in Europe.

The trigger for the comedy segment was a legal threat by homeopathic manufacturer Hevert (@hevertnatur) against the ex-homeopath @nataliegrams and other skeptics of the GWUP.org (the German Skeptic Society).

Böhmermann summarizes Homeopathy as “Verdünnen, Schütteln, Scheiße labern” (“Dilute, Shake, Talk shit”). He makes fun of the sugar pills (#globukalypse), sent an undercover speaker to the main homeopathy convention, associated Homeopathy with the Nazis and in the end he sings with a gospel choir that Homeopathy is utter BS. In all, a pretty thorough and aggressive burn, certainly for Germany.

The company Hevert pharmaceuticals felt that Homeopathy is under attack on social media. Their legal counter-attack appears to backfire thanks to the Streisand-effect. Here is a summary in English:

https://edzardernst.com/2019/05/a-german-manufacturer-of-homeopathic-remedies-is-taking-legal-action-against-critics/

So, the battle against quackery is finally heating up in the birthplace of Homeopathy. But it will be a long way before Germany stops funding this.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:31:52 AM by PatrickG »

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
My German German professor would malign the homeopathy in the US. She called it “watered down crap that doesn’t work.” Then praised the homeopathy in Germany for being amazing.

🙄

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
My German German professor would malign the homeopathy in the US. She called it “watered down crap that doesn’t work.” Then praised the homeopathy in Germany for being amazing.

🙄

That is oddly fantastic.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude

🙄

I mean, the fact she called any kind of homeopathy "watered-down" makes it sound sarcastic. In my experience, this is a normal way that professors talk: that line might have planted more of a seed of doubt that actually saying that homeopathy doesn't work. I mean, imagine someone trying to look up what it means that some homeopathic products are supposedly "watered-down".

Offline PatrickG

• Not Enough Spare Time

I mean, the fact she called any kind of homeopathy "watered-down" makes it sound sarcastic. In my experience, this is a normal way that professors talk: that line might have planted more of a seed of doubt that actually saying that homeopathy doesn't work. I mean, imagine someone trying to look up what it means that some homeopathic products are supposedly "watered-down".

The watered-down pun is fun indeed. Has anyone ever explained how the potency of the watered down dilution gets transferred into the dry sugar pills? The homeopathy story is that the water somehow remembers the original substance. But once the water evaporates: how does the sugar remember it? Hardly anyone seems to address that issue, focusing on the ridiculous dilution instead. 

https://www.imi.com.hk/what-s-in-the-little-white-balls.html

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster

🙄

Presumably the problem is that all American homeopathic products are watered-down crap, and she didn't need to cure cholera or the Ebola virus.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
I started watching the video, but couldn't understand the conversation because I don't speak German.

However, I feel the need to register my delight and enthusiasm that such a thing as "the German John Oliver" exists.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
I wouldn’t say that the Germans are any more irrational than Americans or Australians.  Jan Böhmermann doesn’t compare the figures for German acceptance and use of placebo concoctions to other countries. 

One thing I did notice though.  VPN seriously reduces internet speed.  Usually I get 90+ mbps download, but VPN reduces it to the 20 range.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

personate-rain