Author Topic: ''Time stopped for 12 seconds...biggest matrix glitch ever'' - Thoughts?  (Read 686 times)

Offline Shrooborb

• Not Enough Spare Time
What inspired me to ask this was this story on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_the_Matrix/comments/3034ed/the_world_stopped_for_12_seconds_biggest_matrix/

OP says him, his brother and his parents saw a 'flash' and then the world froze for 12 seconds. They saw birds frozen in the air, felt the air come to a stand still, and saw people outside the car frozen mid-step. I'm asking if this could of really happened.

I am mentioning this story in particular as it stood out to me, but there are a whole bunch of other stories on that subreddit about the laws of physics going haywire, for instance having a TV remote in your hand and having your eyes on it only for it to just blink out of existence right in front of you, or OP dies in a car crash and then respawns at home, while his friends have a vague memory of him dying, or 5 people seeing their friend walk through a wall or teleport from one end of the room to the other.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Could it have really happened?  No.

Could they really think it happened?  Maybe.

Offline Shrooborb

• Not Enough Spare Time

Do you mind elaborating on why it could not of happened?

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

Do you mind elaborating on why it could not of happened?

Because it would undermine all understanding of the physical workings of our universe, based upon the sayso of some guy, with absolutely no evidence in support.  I reject that assertion.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
The prior probability of this is somewhat less that the prior probability that someone had, say, an allergic reaction to water. In other words it is extremely—even negligibly—low. The existence of a single anecdote posted on Reddit affects the Bayesian probability that this happened significantly less even than would—just spitballing here—a couple of human interest stories posted in local newspapers.  The probability that this event happened is therefore so minuscule as to merit dismissal without significantly more evidence.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
The world isn't a comic book, short answer.

But to humor you for a second, a phenomenon that stopped time would also freeze the brains and perception of anyone within its range and they would perceive nothing. Even within the fantasy world necessary, this would require magical thinking about brains and minds.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline CarbShark

Did you bring this up here before, or am I having another de javu episode ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:52:48 AM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
The laws of physics don't go haywire. If they did, they wouldn't be laws of physics.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Orbem consistite ut escendam!

Offline Shrooborb

• Not Enough Spare Time
The laws of physics don't go haywire. If they did, they wouldn't be laws of physics.

but how do we know the laws of physics are correct 100% of the time? For example for this game I'm programming there was that one time i hit the jump button and my character clipped through the floor even though it was against the law of the code i wrote (nothing in the programming said he should clip through the floor.)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
I think it much more likely that your code is not flawless as you think than that the phenomenon was the result of localized variation in the laws of physics.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
but how do we know the laws of physics are correct 100% of the time?

Because we test them. Thoroughly.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Orbem consistite ut escendam!

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
Did you bring this up here be fore, or am I having another de javu episode ?

Similar. More "Glitches in the Matrix"  ::)

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50692.0.html

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
I think it much more likely that your code is not flawless as you think than that the phenomenon was the result of localized variation in the laws of physics.
I write software for a living.  Coded my first "program" on a Commodore Vic-20 in like 1981.

All kinds of shit goes wrong in programs that, on the surface, makes it look like it is breaking its own laws.  Every single time I've found the culprit I had either misunderstood what that law meant, or some other bit of code was acting on the same surface in a manner that changed the outcome.  It has never been the case that math just fucking changed.

So, no, the world didn't freeze for 12 seconds.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
OK it's time I came clean.  It was me.  I did it.

In fact - I'm gonna do it again right now to the OP.

Enjoy your 12 second foreshortened life OP.  Bring this up again, and I will trap you for 10 minutes next time.

You have been warned.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:17:15 AM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
What inspired me to ask this was this story on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_the_Matrix/comments/3034ed/the_world_stopped_for_12_seconds_biggest_matrix/

OP says him, his brother and his parents saw a 'flash' and then the world froze for 12 seconds. They saw birds frozen in the air, felt the air come to a stand still, and saw people outside the car frozen mid-step. I'm asking if this could of really happened.

I am mentioning this story in particular as it stood out to me, but there are a whole bunch of other stories on that subreddit about the laws of physics going haywire, for instance having a TV remote in your hand and having your eyes on it only for it to just blink out of existence right in front of you, or OP dies in a car crash and then respawns at home, while his friends have a vague memory of him dying, or 5 people seeing their friend walk through a wall or teleport from one end of the room to the other.

Well, if there are stories people write about this phenomenon on Reddit, who am I to doubt them?

Best bet for me is to disregard any prior implausibility and accept these anecdotes as evidence that everything we thought we knew about the world is completely wrong.

What other explanation can there be?
Believe stories from respected Reddit contributors? Or the measly little history of evidence gathering, analysis, testing and recording results, all hastily gathered over the course of a mere thousands of years?

The decision is easy: There is a glitch in the matrix. Someone said so on Reddit.

For the record: My invisible extraterrestrial Sasquatch roommate agrees with me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:51:40 AM by seamas »

personate-rain