Author Topic: Episode #728  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #728
« on: June 22, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »
Interview with Richard Wiseman; 5-10 Years: Contact Lens TVs; News Items: Radioactive Energy Cards, Hungry Brain Puppy Dog Eyes; Who's That Noisy; Chernobyl Follow Up; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Episode #728
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »
I haven't listened yet, but I feel like there is a comma missing in the news items. That, or it is going to be a wild ride!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
I love how often the other Rogues have to issue "corrections" like:

"No we weren't all really disagreeing with everything Cara had to say again. At a deeper level we really agree with all the ridiculous things she was saying." ::)

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
Richard Wiseman is being interviewed this week?  I might actually listen to it, or at least the interview.  He hasn’t published any books lately?  I hope not.  I have just too many books to read now.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 09:29:11 PM »
They left off the ending of the quote. It's one of my favorite Shakespearian speeches. For what it's worth, the full quote:

Edmund, soliloquizing:

This is the excellent foppery of the world, that,
when we are sick in fortune,--often the surfeit
of our own behavior,--we make guilty of our
disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as
if we were villains by necessity; fools by
heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and
treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards,
liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of
planetary influence; and all that we are evil in,
by a divine thrusting on: an admirable evasion
of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish
disposition to the charge of a star! My
father compounded with my mother under the
dragon's tail; and my nativity was under Ursa
major; so that it follows, I am rough and
lecherous. Tut, I should have been that I am,
had the maidenliest star in the firmament
twinkled on my bastardizing.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 04:40:15 AM »
Thailand's official language is Thai, not Malay.

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 06:54:56 AM »
It was said on the show that world war 2 wasn't a forgone conclusion. Well it kinda was. Germany simply couldn't match the men or material of their enemies. If the U.S. and U.S.S.R. didn't get involved the Allies still had many cuntries to draw on. Maybe they could have sued for peace but total victory was off the table without the world's 2 largest cuntries against them. As it was when the U.S. entered the war the European Axis powers were heavily into their reserves.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Online Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 07:57:14 AM »
On scepticism in Shakespeare, from Henry IV, part 1

GLENDOWER:
I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

HOTSPUR:
Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come when you do call for them?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »
It's a ghost that gets everything started in Hamlet. And we are told that "There are more things in heaven and Earth [...] than are dreamed of in your philosophy." Philosophy included science back then. But at least it would appear that Shakespeare rejected astrology. FWIW, Chaucer, more than two centuries earlier, makes fun of a doctor who does not even examine or speak to his patients. When he gets word that someone is sick he sends a messenger to inquire their time and place of birth and casts their horoscope, then diagnoses their illness and prescribes his remedy based on that.

I'm not sure that rejecting astrology made you that much of a skeptic back then. But it's still a wonderful quote, and more so if you don't chop it in half.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
Here’s another: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
"Wait a minute, I didn't use that much poison!"

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 04:20:30 PM »
What came to my mind during the Dogs Eyes section:

It is the first instance that I've seen of a dog communicating something in an implicit / passive-aggressive way... haha
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline thelaker

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
Regarding Steve's comments on developing alternative energy sources to combat climate change, he expressed skepticism that we could reduce emissions to avoid 1.5 or 2.0 C warming.  Some people think the stakes are even higher than that....they are convinced that the collapse of civilization due to climate change is imminent (e.g. within the lifetime of adults):

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwpdb/the-climate-change-paper-so-depressing-its-sending-people-to-therapy

"What if I told you there was a paper on climate change that was so uniquely catastrophic, so perspective-altering, and so absolutely depressing that it's sent people to support groups and encouraged them to quit their jobs and move to the countryside? Good news: there is. It's called 'Deep Adaptation: A Map for Navigating Climate Tragedy.'"

"...the stark conclusions that it draws about the future. Chiefly, that it's too late to stop climate change from devastating our world—and that 'climate-induced societal collapse is now inevitable in the near term.' How near? About a decade."

It would be interesting if the rogues could tackle the arguments made in this paper.  I guess I'm old enough now to roll my eyes anytime a prophet argues that "the end is nigh".....I've been hearing this and getting freaked out about it since I was a child in the 70s and 80s.  In this podcast, Orson Welles' "The War of the Worlds" radio show from the 1930s was referenced, and I blame him since in the early 80s, he narrated The Man Who Saw Tomorrow "documentary" on Nostradamus that was repeated ad nauseam on HBO.  After hearing this (and numerous other stories about the "end of the world" or at least civilization as we know it [e.g. 'The Day After', 'The Great Depression of 1990', 'Bankruptcy 1995', etc]), getting freaked out, and then growing older and not witnessing "The End", I've become quite cynical for any new similar proclamations.  Anyone else feel this way?

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 07:26:11 PM »
Dr. Novella's "Who's a good boy?" certainly has to be among the greatest clips in SGU history :) Right up there with Bob's classic "Helloooo" from the early days.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »
What came to my mind during the Dogs Eyes section:

It is the first instance that I've seen of a dog communicating something in an implicit / passive-aggressive way... haha

Yeah, they're usually just aggressive rather than passive-aggressive. The way he keeps his nose pointed at the camera, but moves his eyes to look at the leash. OTOH, I suspect Photoshop might have been involved.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain