Author Topic: Episode #728  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Episode #728
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2019, 04:38:10 PM »
Germany was on something of a time clock where eventually the wheels would come off the economy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wages_of_Destruction

So, it was a "Hail Mary"? They had to conquer the UK in order to get their coal & oil (which the UK has/had a lot of) to run the war machine.

I think you mean Russia and it is oil and grain. Germany had enough coal.

That is one issue where Hitler is more right that his generals. They wanted to retreat from Romania to shore up lines of defense while his argument was that was where their oil is. They retreat from Romania and they have effectively no oil. He understood the big picture better than they did.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:46:42 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2019, 06:13:46 PM »
There is a podcast dealing with the second world war that I occasionally listen too. The most recent episode is called "1941 The Year Germany Lost the War".  It is an interview with an historian who wrote a book with the same title. Here is the link.

http://ww2podcast.com/ww2-podcast/94-1941-the-year-germany-lost-the-war/

Thanks, listed to the first and adding it to my list.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »
The Germans lost the war when they attacked the Soviet Union.  They never had enough resources to conquer Russia.  They were also reliant on the supply of raw materials from the Soviet Union, which was agreed to as part of the non-aggression pact which had allowed Hitler to invade Poland.  Once they invaded Russia these supplies ceased immediately.

That sealed the deal, but they really lost it when they lost the Battle of Britain. If they could have denied the allies British Isles to stage, mass and launch their counter attack, they would have been in a much stronger position.

It’s difficult to know what other strategic decision Hitler could have made after being fought to a draw in the Battle of England.  The rationale for attacking the Soviet Union (which Hitler wanted to do anyway as part of his racial insanity) was to eliminate a potential ally for Britain on the continent, and forcing Britain to negotiate.

The Americans weren’t in the war then.  The invasion of the continent through Normandy only succeeded because a very large proportion of Hitler’s best troops were tied down in the Soviet Union.

That was no draw. The battle of Britain was a complete loss for the Germans. Their intention was to soften up their defenses and then invade. Anything short of that was failure.

And the Americans were in the war to the extent that we were supplying arms to Britain, and were suffering casualties and sinking U-Boats.

The rationale for attacking Russia was to expand German domain, and win the natural resources, and farms and industrial capacity of an enormous part of Europe. And had that strategy worked, Germany would have become more and more formidable every year.

The Battle of Britain was a draw.  There was nothing stopping the Germans from coming back in 1941 and using the resources they’d expended in the invasion of the Soviet Union to have another go at Britain.  The Germans were suffering hubris in thinking the Soviet Union was going to be a pushover.

The Battle of Britain was a moral victory only for Britain (and they didn’t have many real ones).

The Americans did attack several U-boats in 1941.  But it’s difficult to see how Roosevelt would have been able to convince the American people to go to war against Germany after Pearl Harbour unless Hitler made the strategic blunder of declaring war on America (he wasn’t obliged to do so on the basis of the treaty with Japan).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

personate-rain