Author Topic: Weird optical illusion involving faces  (Read 294 times)

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
Weird optical illusion involving faces
« on: June 23, 2019, 07:11:51 AM »
Not sure is this has come up before, but it popped up on my Twitter feed and is genuinely bizarre.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1142068351855943683

I hope you don’t need to be a Twitter member to see it.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Weird optical illusion involving faces
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 08:02:05 AM »
I dont really get it...
To me the faces look like charicatures? But that doesnt seem odd considering I am using my peripheral vision.
Am I not seeing something?

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 10:30:13 AM »
I dont really get it...
To me the faces look like charicatures? But that doesnt seem odd considering I am using my peripheral vision.

But when you shift your eyes to just look at the photos, they’re all just normal photos of celebrities - not caricatures.

I’ve not yet seen an explanation for the illusion. My guess is that when presented with multiple faces just out of one’s field of view, the brain enhances and amplifies outstanding traits - hence the caricature nature of the illusion.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 10:41:59 AM »
I dont really get it...

But when you shift your eyes to just look at the photos, they’re all just normal photos of celebrities - not caricatures.

I’ve not yet seen an explanation for the illusion. My guess is that when presented with multiple faces just out of one’s field of view, the brain enhances and amplifies outstanding traits - hence the caricature nature of the illusion.
I get you now!
Its interesting for sure.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/858b/ea483a46bbe98ef97109076be490aab0d593.pdf?_ga=2.1515057.1618224187.1561301415-1298542131.1561301415

We describe a novel face distortion effect resulting from the fast-paced presentation of eye-aligned faces. When cycling through the faces on a computer screen, each face seems to become a caricature of itself and some faces appear highly deformed, even grotesque. The degree of distortion is greatest for faces that deviate from the others in the set on a particular dimension (eg if a person has a large forehead, it looks particularly large). This new method of image presentation, based on alignment and speed, could provide a useful tool for investigating contrastive distortion effects and face adaptation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
I hope you don’t need to be a Twitter member to see it.

Nope. Not a twitter member and I can see the video. Odd.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »
Very cool effect. Very pronounced. Can't miss it.  Your explanation makes a lot of sense.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
That is super, super weird.  In fact, it makes me wonder if this is how caricature artists train themselves to "see" faces.

personate-rain
personate-rain