Author Topic: Grammar Questions and Observations  (Read 1265 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Grammar Questions and Observations
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:07 PM »
I read a comment recently with a phrase like "...so her's is yellow."

Is that an appropriate use of the apostrophe? It wouldn't be "hi's" or "his's" or "his'", of course. I feel like you're not supposed to use an apostrophe with possessive pronouns.

Am I right?

What grammar questions and observations do you have nibbling at your lobes?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Grammar Questions and Observations
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:52 AM »
I read a comment recently with a phrase like "...so her's is yellow."

Is that an appropriate use of the apostrophe? It wouldn't be "hi's" or "his's" or "his'", of course. I feel like you're not supposed to use an apostrophe with possessive pronouns.

Am I right?

Yes
What grammar questions and observations do you have nibbling at your lobes?
Is it better to use “as if” or “like”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:41:02 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 03:40:05 AM »
Only a looser uses bad grammar.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
For most words, the apostrophe denotes the possessive. "That is Martha's bicycle." But for pronouns, the apostrophe is not used for the possessive as it becomes a contraction in that case. Correct: "That bicycle is Martha's." Also correct: "That bicycle is hers." Incorrect: "That bicycle is her's."

"It's" means "it is."

"Its" is the possessive form indicating that something belongs to "it."

These uses are so widely abused that nowadays it's more common to see them misused than used correctly. I am a lousy typist and have to proofread everything I write carefully because my fingers will rebel against my brain and type the wrong form. But most people simply do not care.

The one that annoys me the most is the incorrect use of "I" and "me":

Incorrect but common "Me and her went to the movie." You would never say "Me went to the movie." You would say "I went to the movie." So the correct form is "She and I went to the movie."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
1.  Her's is not a word in any context.
2.  I don't understand why so many people can't grasp and misuse who vs whom.
3. I don't know why grammar check wants to change my which to that all the time.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »

3. I don't know why grammar check wants to change my which to that all the time.

Perhaps you are typing "which" when "that" would be the better word, as when introducing a restrictive clause.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:42:08 PM by jt512 »
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
I think that the use of whom is slowly disappearing from the spoken language as people understand less the difference between subject and object cases.  Because people then hear it primarily in formal contexts, its use comes to sound formal or sophisticated, and people then try to use it when they want to sound formal or sophisticated, even when the subjective form is appropriate.

Microsoft’s grammar check is far too zealous in wanting to change relative clauses to use ‘that.’ It knows no shades of gray.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »

Perhaps you are typing "which" when "that" would be the better word, as when introducing a restrictive clause.

As I understand it, "which" is to be used when there's a defined set of options, and "that" is indicative of a single item.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:13:39 PM by John Albert »

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »

As I understand it, "which" is to be used when there's a defined set of options, and "that" is indicative of a single item.

"Which" usually introduces a nonrestrictive clause and is usually preceded by a comma.  "That" introduces a restrictuve clause and is not preceded by a comma.  These two sentences illustrate the difference:

"I ran to the barn, which was burning."
"I ran to the barn that was burning.

The first setence means that there was one barn; it was burning; and I ran to it.  The second sentence means that there was more than one barn; one was on fire; and that was the one I ran to.

I suspect that if you try to type the first sentence without the comma, many grammar checkers will suggest "that" instead.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »
Ah, I get the context now. Thanks.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 04:03:40 PM »
I think that the use of whom is slowly disappearing from the spoken language as people understand less the difference between subject and object cases.  Because people then hear it primarily in formal contexts, its use comes to sound formal or sophisticated, and people then try to use it when they want to sound formal or sophisticated, even when the subjective form is appropriate.

Microsoft’s grammar check is far too zealous in wanting to change relative clauses to use ‘that.’ It knows no shades of gray.

I'm OK with whom going away because of current usage.  But people don't seem to have the same problems with he/him and she/her, etc... it's like they're not even trying.

Although I do hear "Come with Bob and I." - that one is really irritating.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 05:58:21 PM »
Among my numerous abuses I tend to screw up She and I and She and me but its almost always by using I where I should use me. 

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
Among my numerous abuses I tend to screw up She and I and She and me but its almost always by using I where I should use me.

If it could be replaced with “we”, it’s ‘she and I’; otherwise it’s ‘her and me’.  It is never ‘she and me.’

Or you could just use we/us.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
Sometimes, when I'm in an informal conversation and "whom" is the appropriate word, I'll use "who" rather than sound like that guy.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »

Same distinction as who/whom (subject vs object). The flies chased after her and me (or us). She and I (or we) went to lunch.

personate-rain