Author Topic: Flat Earth How thick?  (Read 894 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Flat Earth How thick?
« on: June 25, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »
I was just thinking about Flat Earth and wondered to my self two pretty basic questions.

How thick is the flat earth?
Like NY Pizza or like cheese cake or thicker?

What's underneath?
I suspect cool stuff, but possibly gross stuff (over cooked mushrooms and sewage) or very ornery Sasquatches.

The FAQ at the FES doesn't have any answers. I can't really believe these aren't frequently asked. They are after all, very rigorous thinkers.

I want answers damn it!
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Flat Earth How thick?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »
Turtles all the way down.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »
The Earth's taint.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »
Turtles all the way down.

So don't waste your mind on nursery rhymes
Or fairy tales of blood and wine
It's turtles all the way down the line
--Sturgill Simpson
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
I was just thinking about Flat Earth and wondered to my self two pretty basic questions.

How thick is the flat earth?
Like NY Pizza or like cheese cake or thicker?

I believe the flat-Earthers differ in their opinions of this, from a few miles, to infinite.

What's underneath?
I suspect cool stuff, but possibly gross stuff (over cooked mushrooms and sewage) or very ornery Sasquatches.

The FAQ at the FES doesn't have any answers. I can't really believe these aren't frequently asked. They are after all, very rigorous thinkers.

I want answers damn it!

One wag over there posted that there are people living on the underside, and they are the source of flying saucers, when they visit the top side, except that they think their side is the top side and ours is the underside. But I get the impression that most of them don't think there is an "underneath."

Overcooked mushrooms and sewage seems like as good an answer as any, but I kind of like people with flying saucers. I'm trying to remember what Terry Pratchett says. I mean, yes, it's resting on the backs of four elephants standing on the great turtle A'tun, but does he say what it's like under there? I'd go with whatever Pratchett says. I think he's a more reliable authority than Mark Sargent or any of the folks at FES.

They are after all, very rigorous thinkers.

;D  ;D  ;D
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »
Yes, Flat Earthers are that thick.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 07:11:24 PM »
And where is all the lava coming from
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 11:14:00 PM »
And where is all the lava coming from

Lava? What lava? There's no lava. It's all part of the NASA conspiracy.

<Joking!!!>

But I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that was their answer.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 06:14:17 AM »
It's easy to think Flatters are poes, until you remember that billions of people think some superbeing created the Universe and is actually concerned about what people do with their genitals.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »
It's easy to think Flatters are poes, until you remember that billions of people think some superbeing created the Universe and is actually concerned about what people do with their genitals.

Totally agree. Which is why I think that flat-earth theory (FET) is far less harmful than religion, and no more insane or stupid.

What's a poe? There's Edgar Allan Poe, who was a bad poet, but I don't think we're talking about the literary skill of FET believers.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »

Totally agree. Which is why I think that flat-earth theory (FET) is far less harmful than religion, and no more insane or stupid.

What's a poe? There's Edgar Allan Poe, who was a bad poet, but I don't think we're talking about the literary skill of FET believers.

Poe's (internet) law: 

Without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views.

As originally formulated by Nathan Poe:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article.

The meaning has drifted slightly to mean a statement (or the creator of that statement) where you can't tell if they are trolling, serious, or having a laugh being known as a Poe.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »

Yes and no.
With religion you have a lot of family, cultural and societal pressures --starting from birth to mold the supernatural into your whole thought process--and for most people the sermons are far more about being good to each other than anything about sex.
I'm no more of an intelligent person as an atheist than I was when I was religious, and I know a good number of extremely intelligent people who are religious but don't waste time coming up with or defending theories akin to Flat Earth.
There's no such thing as denial.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
...and I know a good number of extremely intelligent people who are religious but don't waste time coming up with or defending theories akin to Flat Earth.
But they believe a god who could create the Universe is concerned about how they use their genitals. Got it. 

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »

Poe's (internet) law: 

Without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views.

As originally formulated by Nathan Poe:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article.

The meaning has drifted slightly to mean a statement (or the creator of that statement) where you can't tell if they are trolling, serious, or having a laugh being known as a Poe.

I had not heard of this before. Thank you.

...and I know a good number of extremely intelligent people who are religious but don't waste time coming up with or defending theories akin to Flat Earth.
But they believe a god who could create the Universe is concerned about how they use their genitals. Got it. 

The only reason religion doesn't seem like a Poe is that we are so accustomed to having it all around us that even if we don't believe it, we accept that it is a thing. I personally think that Christianity is far more wacky than FET. Some proponents of both suffer from serious mental illnesses, but the concepts are only marginally different in their wackyness:

The Earth is flat.

Or

God loves you so much that he'll torture you forever in an eternal lake of fire if you don't believe in him, or if you masturbate, or if you love someone of the same gender as yourself, or if you wear clothing that society has decreed must not be worn by people of your gender, or you eat the wrong kind of food, or you open your eggs at the wrong end...

For sanity, I'll take a flat-Earther over a Christian any day.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »
It's got to be at least thick enough to provide sufficient insulation to prevent Hell freezing over.

...Or maybe it's not. Perhaps I've stumbled upon a new theory for global warming?