Author Topic: Flat Earth How thick?  (Read 893 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Flat Earth How thick?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »
It's got to be at least thick enough to provide sufficient insulation to prevent Hell freezing over.

Not if Hell is continually being heated by dragons, or by the burning of all those souls. Maybe the Earth has to be thin enough to allow the escape of heat in order to keep it at its divinely-ordained temperature.

I'm not saying that the Earth is thin, just that we cannot infer its thickness from the need to maintain the temperature of hell.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 11:29:35 AM »
...and I know a good number of extremely intelligent people who are religious but don't waste time coming up with or defending theories akin to Flat Earth.
But they believe a god who could create the Universe is concerned about how they use their genitals. Got it.

No not really. More about how people treat people.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 03:20:32 PM »
It would have to be pretty thick otherwise it wouldn't have been able to support the great flood. Water is heavy.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »
It would have to be pretty thick otherwise it wouldn't have been able to support the great flood. Water is heavy.

Plus the turtles will not be happy.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 04:36:17 PM »
...and I know a good number of extremely intelligent people who are religious but don't waste time coming up with or defending theories akin to Flat Earth.
But they believe a god who could create the Universe is concerned about how they use their genitals. Got it.

LOL
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 04:42:38 PM »

One of those flat earth camps does not believe in gravity and thinks we accelerate upward at 32 feet per second squared driven by "dark energy"

I wonder what they think water weighs?
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »

LOL

Remember I am speaking about individuals here.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 06:47:18 PM »

LOL

What religion says and what it does are two very different things. Religion claims to be about obeying a supposed creator, and teaching people to behave in a "moral" manner. But what it actually does is gather adherents and extort money from them with promises that the supposed creator will be pleased with them if they pay up, and will reward them after they're dead, and threats that if they don't pay up, the supposed creator will punish them, usually with infinite, everlasting torture, though a few sects replace the eternal torture with the death of the soul.

Most people just go about their lives. But religion builds walls between people and intensifies conflicts. And at least half the intentional cruelty in the world is justified by religion when religion is not actually promoting it. I have never actually heard an argument for bigotry of any sort (racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.) that did not amount to "This is what God wants." "God put the races on different continents so they'd be kept separate." No. A few visible traits evolved differently in different places. "God made women to be the helpmeets of men." No. Neither gender came before the other. "Homosexuality is unnatural." No. It is observed in all species of animals. Religion provides the excuse for all cruelty. Religion provided the justification for slavery, and the people who argued against marriage equality only ever had one argument: "The Bible says..."

Religion is utterly and completely idiotic, irrational, contrary to everything we have learned through science, and is nothing but an excuse for cruelty. And when religion does do good deeds, it only does them with the ulterior motive of converting people so they can be scammed into paying into the church's coffers.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
Overcooked mushrooms and sewage seems like as good an answer as any, but I kind of like people with flying saucers. I'm trying to remember what Terry Pratchett says. I mean, yes, it's resting on the backs of four elephants standing on the great turtle A'tun, but does he say what it's like under there? I'd go with whatever Pratchett says. I think he's a more reliable authority than Mark Sargent or any of the folks at FES.

I had heard of the Discworld series before, but I had to google Terry Pratchet after you mentioned the world turtle. It also reminded me of Skeptoid #338 "The Flat Earth Theory" where Dunning says-

"Even the popular meme of 'Turtles all the way down', in supposed reference to an ancient belief that the Earth was flat and resting on the back of a giant elephant, which stood on the back of the World Turtle, is not a literal claim. It's from an old joke, repeated over and over again in books since at least the 1800s. The old illustrations we see of turtles bearing the flat Earth are not from ancient cultures, but from Western misinterpretations of allegorical Eastern beliefs, which were then parodied into straw man arguments depicting ancient science as ridiculous."

This, in turn, reminds me of how the Illuminati conspiracy wasn't really a thing until Playboy magazine had fun with the idea in the '60s. Sometimes I like how pop culture can spark interest in long-dead ideas, but other times I really don't.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »

LOL

And still LOL.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 09:14:29 PM »
I saw turtles today. We call them Honu here, which is the Hawaiian word. They were not holding up the world. Just swimming all around our canoes. They are so cool! A couple of days ago I was in the water and decided to swim under the canoe to get to the other side. Not so much "swim" as hold my breath and sort of walk my hands along the underside of the boat. Only when I was directly under the boat, a really big turtle was right there, and almost swam right up to me before turning off to the side. A lot of times we see them at the bottom. They will wedge themselves under the coral to sleep. There can be turtles at the surface taking a breath, and turtles swimming in the water column, and turtles on the bottom. So, sometimes we have "turtles all the way down." To the sea floor, that is. Pretty shallow at the reefs we stop at. Anywhere from 5 or 6 feet up to maybe 20 feet.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 07:49:05 AM »

LOL

Remember Rhysling resorts to laughing meaninglessly when he has no actual point to add but still disagrees with you.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 11:39:08 AM »
Religion provided the justification for slavery, and the people who argued against marriage equality only ever had one argument: "The Bible says..."

I don't recall hindus, buddhists etc citing the bible. And as for Catholics, the Bible is not center to authority (as the faith predates the written bible)--that is the Protestant belief.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »

LOL

And still LOL.

So you are asserting that all religious people all believe god cares about genitals? Or they cannot be intelligent?

So friends, family and co-workers that are religious and DON'T hold such beliefs are a figment of my imagination?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 02:53:26 PM »
Religion provided the justification for slavery, and the people who argued against marriage equality only ever had one argument: "The Bible says..."

I don't recall hindus, buddhists etc citing the bible. And as for Catholics, the Bible is not center to authority (as the faith predates the written bible)--that is the Protestant belief.

The Bible was the justification in those two issues because the people supporting slavery and opposing marriage equality in the United States (and the colonies before that) were largely protestants. I admit that Catholics would not have cited the Bible, but their argument was still "because god says so."

A few people tried to argue "tradition" in the marriage debate, but that didn't hold water so they went back to "god doesn't like it." Pissant bigots are always certain they know what god wants.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain