Author Topic: Rember the Miami Bridge Collapse?  (Read 228 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Rember the Miami Bridge Collapse?
« on: June 25, 2019, 05:24:25 PM »
I would have ressurected the old thread about it(I'm pretty sure there was one) but I couldn't find it.

Anyrate, I said at the time that it was probably due to some change during construction.  I was wrong, it was faulty design and an Engineer of Record who wouldn't admit it, probably not even to themselves, along with some other folks who should have know better.
Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article231428938.html?cid=db#storylink=cpy
The report details a catalog of errors ranging from a “deficient” design by Tallahassee-based FIGG Bridge Engineers that led to structural failure, to inadequate oversight by two engineering consulting firms that were supposed to act as a backstop on design and construction, Louis Berger and Bolton Perez and Associates, and a fatal attempt by FIGG to close the cracks that triggered the collapse.

Short version, there were a bunch of big cracks that kept getting bigger.  The Engineer of Record(EOR) said, "we don't know what's causing them but it ain't structural!"  Turns out they were.  The design was flawed and at least two independent firms failed to notice the deficiencies. 

OSHA report on the matter:https://www.osha.gov/doc/engineering/pdf/2019_r_03.pdf

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:15:50 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Rember the Miami Bridge Collapse?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 02:04:40 AM »
Jeebus. Following for info.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rember the Miami Bridge Collapse?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »
"FIGG Bridge Engineers (FIGG), failed to recognize that the bridge was in danger of collapsing when it inspected it hours before the collapse.  The concrete truss had developed numerous wide and deep structural cracks jeopardizing the integrity of the bridge.  The EOR should have immediately instructed that the bridge be shored at appropriate locations and SW 8th Street be closed. "

"The morning of the incident, EOR held a meeting with project participants after evaluating the cracks over the course of the previous two days.  At that meeting, the EOR acknowledged that his computations could not replicate the cracks and therefore, he did not know why the cracks were occurring. The Construction Engineer and Inspector (CEI) of the project advised the EOR at this meeting that the cracks were lengthening daily.  Despite these admissions and the knowledge that the cracks were growing in size, EOR stated more than once that the cracks did not present any safety concerns."

Well, at least we all learned a valuable lesson:

(click to show/hide)

personate-rain