Author Topic: Will AMD's new processors result in price drops on the market, and if so, when?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I am planning to buy a new computer. However, from what I have read online, on July 7, AMD will release new processors, which are likely to result in price drops on the entire market.

If so, when does this price drop take place? According to some, it can be expected pretty much on July 7. According to others, it may be in autumn or around Christmas.

The online retailers I checked out seem to have dropped their prices a bit already over the past few days. Could this be connected to that they may want the current brands out of store before July 7?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
I'd like if the price per transistor equation also meant that I could get a (new) $10 computer powerful enough to comfortably play all 1990s games on.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Rumors are that Intel will drop its prices 15% on July 6th or 7th.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I guess I should wait the remaining one and a half week then.

A few weeks I can wait. But not until autumn or Christmas.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
I'd like if the price per transistor equation also meant that I could get a (new) $10 computer powerful enough to comfortably play all 1990s games on.

I’d be surprised if the Raspberry Pi Zero doesn’t have plenty of transistors for that task already.  But the architecture is so different from that which those games originally ran on that they cannot be run except through (possibly unavailable) software emulation.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
You can buy a lot of the old classics on Steam, and they then work with newer computers.

personate-rain
personate-rain