Author Topic: Episode #729  (Read 602 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #729
« on: June 29, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »
Interview with Evan Saitta about Dinosaur Proteins; News Items:Deep Space Atomic Clock, Printing Vaccines, Carbon Capture, Horny Kids; Who's That Noisy; E-mails and Questions: Thai Language, Audio Pareidolia; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #729
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
We already have biofuels that are made from atmospheric carbon. And they're pretty much only good for fudging emission statistics for countries that want to pretend that they're doing something, without reducing consumption and/or fuel use. Instead there's further growth, and the biofuels help mask that by the governments deciding not to count the emissions from biofuels. You have to use energy to create fuel, whatever way you do it. Pretending that it's carbon neutral isn't helping.

I doubt that any carbon capture program will be worthwhile without it ending in permanently removing the carbon. Storage is the real challenge, precisely because it's not profitable to clean up someone else's mess without having charged them for it.

We can, and we have to, charge for emissions. That's where the financial incentives need to be. Make it cost a fuckton of money to pollute, and then people can either stop, or we can use that money to pay for more carbon sequestration.

Don't leave it up to polluters to capture carbon and juggle numbers. Establish dedicated carbon capture programs for permanent storage, that we can then scale up as much as possible. Scaling up carbon capture for fuel, or other polluting products, gets us nowhere, at best. Scaling up sequestration is the only way to do something about the trillion or so tons of CO2 we have to remove even if we achieve carbon neutrality in the near future.

Which is unlikely, so we have to plan to remove significantly more than we emit each year.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:50:28 PM by 2397 »

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:05:55 AM »
I had no idea of the other two SoF questions but it was easy to see the bacteria/athletics one was true.  One only needs to train the body to burn fat to use it efficiently, and it stands to reason this encourages bacteria that produce lipids for energy for their host.  Cattle, say, generate a huge energy surplus that way eating only cellulose. 

Zach Bitter holds the world record for the 100 mile run eating a ketogenic diet.  Meredith Loring and Sami Inkinin hold the two person rowing record (SFO to HI) in their "Fat Chance" effort.  The list goes on.  You don't need a fecal transplant, just nourish your biota with fat and fasted workouts.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
Sequestering carbon at the source may help to make fossil fuels a little less disastrous. But I highly doubt that we will ever be able to sequester enough atmospheric carbon to make a dent in global climate change. The warming is going to continue and the world is going to become a less-hospitable place for human civilization. If we are lucky the change will come slowly enough that we'll be able to adjust to the hardships. If we are unlucky the change will accelerate until it leads to a collapse of our economy with mass starvation and food riots and the end of food production.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
Steve kind of put his foot in it when he suggested that Spain had a single language. Castilian, which is the language that North Americans call "Spanish" is the official language of Spain and is the language of the central portion of the country plus Extremadura. Galicia, the Basque Country, Catalonia, and Valencia all have their own languages. Euskadi (the Basque language) is unrelated to any other language in the world. Catalan and Valenciano have some words recognizable to a speaker of Castilian but are entirely different languages. And in Andalusia they speak a dialect of Castilian that is nearly as different from Madrid or Mexican Castilian as Yorkshire English is from Oxford English.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
The first thing I thought of is that industrial production of CO2, including the compressed/frozen kind you buy, is typically produced by burning natural gas. I don't know what percentage of CO2 produced for industrial use ends up in the atmosphere, but obviously all of it from dry ice and paintball guns does end up in the atmosphere, thus, any CO2 we capture would displace further production.

Why don't we already have CO2 pipelines right alongside the natural gas pipelines? I imagine you wouldn't need much of a carbon tax to make it efficient.  We are talking about the difference between what it costs to pump CO2 from a generating plant to industry, versus what they would get paid for it, without considering the externality of emission itself. When they make CO2 by burning gas, they are buying the same amount of gas to produce the same amount of carbon, except that they don't get any energy out of the process.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:37:24 PM »
Euskadi (the Basque language) is unrelated to any other language in the world.

Slight, minor correction: Unrelated to any currently spoken language. At least as far as we know. If the Proto-Human language hypothesis is correct (which from what I know is an ongoing linguistic controversy), then it is related to all languages in the world.

Its origin and connection to other languages seems unknown, the ancient Iberian language (an obvious candidate for relationship) remains unclassified and largely unknown. But it is impressive that it managed to survive the Romanization that wiped out the other languages from the Iberian peninsula after the Roman conquest. (Catalan is descended from Latin.) It also survived Franco's attempts at eliminating it as well.

And it is not just North Americans who refer to Castilian as "Spanish". We do too. I think the rest of the world does as well.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
The concrete thing is interesting, but it’s clear that the best use of it would be integrated into the current concrete-making process, rather than as a stand-alone venture.  Capture CO2 from the concrete making process at the source and recycle it back into the product in the aggregate. The result would be a more expensive but potentially much less polluting product.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline esterin

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
Since Cara is once again promoting GW awareness by jetseting in Africa or the Amazon, I think you should face the fact that Cara already moved on.
Time too look for a new diversity quota member.

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »
I guess driving an electric car and eating vegetarians just isn't enough to get green cred anymore...

Offline esterin

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 06:19:04 PM »
I guess driving an electric car and eating vegetarians just isn't enough to get green cred anymore...
Vegetarians are still people

Offline esterin

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 06:20:51 PM »
SOF:
45% percent of the public has vaccine safety concerns is a proof that the public are not idiots and it is not "disgusting" as Jay or Bob (can't tell) said.

There is plenty to be concerned.

As any other medical treatment, they should be proven thoroughly.

My experience:
First day of army service you get the vaccines, i think it was smallpox or TB, my shoulder (the site) got inflamed and i got 42C fever and was taken to ER, i was a strong and fit 18 year old, i wonder what would happen if i was a sickly toddler.   

There might be a harm vs benefit advantage (if proven individually for every vaccine), yet dismissing concerns of safety from a treatment injected directly into the blood stream with irritants to boost the immune response and mass produced etc.... is kind of weird.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
SciShow did a pretty good debunking of the story about "kids" "growing" "horns" "because of" "smart phone use".

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 01:24:33 PM »
I just got around to listen to this episode. With regard to language, Steve said that in the West, people are used to France speaking French, and that countries like Italy and Spain have local dialects.

Actually there are regional variations here that are greater than dialects, even though that is a factor as well. For example in France you have Brittany, which is the native land of Breton, a Celtic language. And in some parts of Italy, German is widely spoken. Spain has a number of regional distinct languages (not dialects), like Catalan and Basque.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 05:32:53 AM »
Vegetarians are still people

only just.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

personate-rain