Author Topic: Southern Rescue Dogs go to Maine  (Read 312 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Southern Rescue Dogs go to Maine
« on: June 29, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
With so many sad stories, it is nice to see something heartwarming.
The article is too long to quote in any meaningful way but makes you feel better about life.

https://downeast.com/rescue-dogs-in-maine/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Make a new canine friend in Maine and chances are good she’s from down south, as the dog-crazy Pine Tree State is among the most common destinations for southern rescue dogs. To understand why — and how they arrive — Kathryn Miles joined 37 very good dogs on a 1,600-mile road trip.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Southern Rescue Dogs go to Maine
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »

We (NY) just got a dog in December. (and he will go on our family vacation in Maine later in the week!)

He's from Florida.
Just about every dog owner I know--or have met-- who has a rescue dog, has one that came up from the south.
We were just at Petsmart before Memorial day where they had an adoption drive. Maybe 24 puppies--all from high kill shelters in Mississippi, Florida, Alabama and also a good number from Puerto Rico.

I take it they simply pay no attention to spaying or neutering down there.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
Nice.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »
People in the rural South have dogs.  Even when they are too poor to afford vet bills for spay or neutering.  It goes back generations.

"Free" puppies become "Drop off at Shelter" puppies become "dead" or "shipped away" puppies.  The original owners have no idea this took place.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
Went to see doggies getting hugs,  was not disappointed!

Now googling adoption events in my area.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »
Our dog, adopted in CT, came from Puerto Rico.  When we visited shelters there were very few local dogs that weren’t pit bulls (yes, I know and don’t care); most non-local dogs were from PR or the south.  Most people I know who’ve adopted also got dogs from the south.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 01:37:38 AM »
I have a rescue dog but got him second hand so don't know where he came from originally - He is a 104 lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I assume he came semi locally though. My other dogs have came from owners, not through adoption centers.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 04:49:38 AM »
My cousin rescued a Great Pyrenees, former owner lived in a three room apartment in Manhattan.   ::)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 05:31:07 AM »
My cousin rescued a Great Pyrenees, former owner lived in a three room apartment in Manhattan.   ::)

I think something like that is what happened with my Chessie - I actually only have three bedrooms in my house but decent sized den and living room. He also has a big yard.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 05:52:14 AM »

I think something like that is what happened with my Chessie - I actually only have three bedrooms in my house but decent sized den and living room. He also has a big yard.
Cuz has a flock of angora goats (something like that, anyway) and the GP, whose name is now "Jeep", considers them family. Coyotes beware.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 06:14:22 AM »

Cuz has a flock of angora goats (something like that, anyway) and the GP, whose name is now "Jeep", considers them family. Coyotes beware.

We recruited wolves to effectively defend us from wolves and their cousins.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »
When we visited shelters there were very few local dogs that weren’t pit bulls (yes, I know and don’t care); most non-local dogs were from PR or the south. 

That was our same experience. more than 1/2 of the dogs were pit bulls (I don't want one), a good number of them were local, and at least two of them had restrictions on them: could not live in or even enter one of the local municipalities -I suspect due to a court order or something.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »

We recruited wolves to effectively defend us from wolves and their cousins.
We had to make BF dogs to deal with a pack of wolves. Dogs are wolves with the interesting parts bred out of them.

personate-rain