Author Topic: Elevator pitch answers for contentious views  (Read 1326 times)

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Elevator pitch answers for contentious views
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:30 PM »
Every time I see this topic come up I'm afraid to open it.  I pretty much fear any topic with "Elevator" in the heading.

"Prominent skeptical woman asked men not to hit on her in elevators, and a bunch of entitled manbabies lost their shit."

Was that a good elevator pitch for Elevatorgate?
Sure.  I zoned out of that bullshit quick, don't even know how it turned out.  One video of, "hey guys, this isn't cool, try not to do this" devolved into "don't tell me what to do" and "all men are potential rapists" screaming at each other.  I avoided that thread like the plague for a bit.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:44 PM »
A hundred deaths from a nuclear accident is a tragedy, a million deaths from routine coal use is a statistic.
Uranium cost $60/kg. A kilogram produces 46 Terawatt-hours of energy.

I'm not arguing against nuclear. I'm saying that people make decisions based on emotion, not reason. People don't feel a million deaths from coal. People fear nuclear. That fear is what we have to deal with if we want a rational energy policy. And I doubt the American public will ever support any policy based on reason. They'll follow whichever demagogue frightens them the most.

And to be fair, the cost of nuclear power is not in the uranium. It's in the construction, maintenance, and decommissioning cost of the plant.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
Every time I see this topic come up I'm afraid to open it.  I pretty much fear any topic with "Elevator" in the heading.

"Prominent skeptical woman asked men not to hit on her in elevators, and a bunch of entitled manbabies lost their shit."

Was that a good elevator pitch for Elevatorgate?
Sure.  I zoned out of that bullshit quick, don't even know how it turned out.  One video of, "hey guys, this isn't cool, try not to do this" devolved into "don't tell me what to do" and "all men are potential rapists" screaming at each other.  I avoided that thread like the plague for a bit.

That was a good call. You didn't want to be any part of that shitshow.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2019, 11:54:10 PM »

personate-rain