Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 831 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Earthquakes
« on: July 04, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »
I just felt a 6.6 in the Mojave Desert.

First I heard some rattling around in the attic, sounded like a raccoon had gotten in.  That stopped, then a few seconds later it came back more intensely, all over the house, as if there were bears in the attic, and I felt the rolling motion, like standing on a surfboard in calm water. Lasted about 10 seconds. The first shaking was the P-waves and the second was the S-waves. The P-waves travel faster and are less intense. The S-waves move more slowly and are more intense.

This is the web page I go to whenever I feel something. But for one this size, it acts like a DOS attack as everyone tries to access the page at once.

Latest Earthquakes

M 6.4 - 12km SW of Searles Valley, CA

Time: 2019-07-04 17:33:48 (UTC) 10:33 (local time)
Depth: 8.7 km

I noticed that there were a few threads that mentioned earthquakes, but started this topic as a catch-all for earthquake reports and info.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:35:21 PM »
I didn't know the names for these waves, so I did a quick search. http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/waves.html will take you as deep as you want do go on the topic, I suspect. :)

How's the homestead?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
My wife felt it 170 miles away in Paso. I was moving around and didn’t.

Offline CarbShark

Earthquakes
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
I didn't know the names for these waves, so I did a quick search. http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/waves.html will take you as deep as you want do go on the topic, I suspect. :)

How's the homestead?
No damage here and not much anywhere.

One of the few science celebrities in the US Is Dr. Lucy Jones, at Cal Tech. Her job for the last 30 years or so has been to go on TV and explain WTF just happened, what will probably happen next and what it all means in a geological sense.

Her press conferences are carried live on every local news channel and make the best case of delivering scientific information to the public I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:58:46 PM by CarbShark »

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 03:58:06 PM »
My wife felt it 170 miles away in Paso. I was moving around and didn’t.
Paseo? Paso Robles?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 04:02:58 PM »
I didn't feel it. I was on the ocean, and 2,500 miles away ;D

I was in Tecate, BC, Mexico when I felt an earthquake. My first impression was that a worker with a small motorized cart had bumped my cabin. But the shaking continued. I said to myself, "I think this is an earthquake. You're supposed to go outside when there's an earthquake." So I went out onto my patio. The shaking didn't last long. The epicenter was about 90 miles east, IIRC. No damage. Some aftershocks were reported but I didn't feel them.

According to my step-brother, there was an earthquake once at night when we were in the mountains, and supposedly I told him to stop shaking my bed. I would have been around 5 or 6 years old, probably. I have no memory of the event, just of being told the story.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
I didn't feel it. I was on the ocean, and 2,500 miles away ;D

I was in Tecate, BC, Mexico when I felt an earthquake. My first impression was that a worker with a small motorized cart had bumped my cabin. But the shaking continued. I said to myself, "I think this is an earthquake. You're supposed to go outside when there's an earthquake." So I went out onto my patio. The shaking didn't last long. The epicenter was about 90 miles east, IIRC. No damage. Some aftershocks were reported but I didn't feel them.

You are not supposed to go outside during an earthquake. Anything on the roof our outside walls of your building could fall as your going through the door. It's safer to stay inside until the shaking stops, wait a few seconds, then go outside.

If you're outside that's the safest place usually, as long as you're not near any collapsing structures.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »

First I heard some rattling around in the attic, sounded like a raccoon had gotten in.  That stopped, then a few seconds later it came back more intensely, all over the house, as if there were bears in the attic, and I felt the rolling motion, like standing on a surfboard in calm water. Lasted about 10 seconds. The first shaking was the P-waves and the second was the S-waves. The P-waves travel faster and are less intense. The S-waves move more slowly and are more intense.

This is the web page I go to whenever I feel something. But for one this size, it acts like a DOS attack as everyone tries to access the page at once.

Latest Earthquakes

I noticed that there were a few threads that mentioned earthquakes, but started this topic as a catch-all for earthquake reports and info.

Do you have the ShakeAlertLA App? Did you get an alert?

Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »

Latest Earthquakes

I have the app but didn’t get the alert.

No one did. Apparently the system failed its first real world test.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 05:47:36 PM »

Latest Earthquakes

You mean, no one in LA county got an alert?  Is it possible that the quake wasn’t strong enough in LA to warrant an alert?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 07:04:18 PM »

Latest Earthquakes

You mean, no one in LA county got an alert?  Is it possible that the quake wasn’t strong enough in LA to warrant an alert?

It’s too early to know for sure. I’ve heard various reports (but haven’t had the TV/Radio on for a bit). Nothing definitive.

But from what I heard it was big enough but the system wasn’t activated.

AFAIK no one got an alert.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 08:11:24 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-early-warning-system-64-quake-20190704-story.html

Did it fail? Not quite. The ShakeAlertLA smartphone app was only designed to alert  users  of cellphones physically located in Los Angeles County if there was at least “light shaking,” or level 4 on the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale, expected for Los Angeles County.
What was actually felt Thursday in Los Angeles County, while seemingly scary, was actually not that bad — either level 2 or level 3 shaking, or “weak shaking.”

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-early-warning-system-64-quake-20190704-story.html

Did it fail? Not quite. The ShakeAlertLA smartphone app was only designed to alert  users  of cellphones physically located in Los Angeles County if there was at least “light shaking,” or level 4 on the Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale, expected for Los Angeles County.
What was actually felt Thursday in Los Angeles County, while seemingly scary, was actually not that bad — either level 2 or level 3 shaking, or “weak shaking.”

Interesting.  I remember from the Landers quake how scary those S-waves are when they roll through your living room.  If today's quake wasn't strong enough to trigger an alarm, we'd better take an alarm really fucking seriously.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 08:25:36 PM »
Landers would have tripped an alarm. It was like 10 times stronger than today’s

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 08:27:47 PM »
Landers would have tripped an alarm. It was like 10 times stronger than today’s

Landers was pretty exciting.  Were you in the L.A. area for it?

personate-rain
personate-rain