Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 1015 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Earthquakes
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »
Landers was the night of my cousin’s wedding in Newport Beach, Orange County.

There were two major, unrelated earthquakes that night.

That was exciting.

Next morning we took all the kids to Disneyland and had the place to ourselves until about 1 pm when the crowds came back.

Space Mountain and the Matterhorn. We’re shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
We had an earthquake once.

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 09:15:19 PM »
I didn't feel it. I was on the ocean, and 2,500 miles away ;D

I was in Tecate, BC, Mexico when I felt an earthquake. My first impression was that a worker with a small motorized cart had bumped my cabin. But the shaking continued. I said to myself, "I think this is an earthquake. You're supposed to go outside when there's an earthquake." So I went out onto my patio. The shaking didn't last long. The epicenter was about 90 miles east, IIRC. No damage. Some aftershocks were reported but I didn't feel them.

You are not supposed to go outside during an earthquake. Anything on the roof our outside walls of your building could fall as your going through the door. It's safer to stay inside until the shaking stops, wait a few seconds, then go outside.

If you're outside that's the safest place usually, as long as you're not near any collapsing structures.

Well, I guess I dodged a bullet on that one. I do remember being told to go outside if there was an Earthquake. It's possible that the recommendations are different for a sparsely-populated area of widely-spaced one-room cabins than they are for an area with high-rise buildings. I have not lived in an earthquake-prone area since I moved away from L.A. at the age of about 20. In North Dakota we had blizzards and the rare tornado, but no earthquakes. I don't know if Spokane is too far east to feel west-coast quakes, but I never felt anything in the dozen years I lived there. The volcano on my island is dormant and probably extinct. Hurricanes are the big thing here but the Big Island tends to block them from us. If we get a major tsunami, I'm toast. Sorry for the digression. Back to earthquakes...
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 09:35:58 PM »
My wife felt it 170 miles away in Paso. I was moving around and didn’t.
Paseo? Paso Robles?

Yes, we are in Paso Robles. We’re part of a team of people traveling to Ridgecrest to pick up lawn chairs. :)

Seriously there were a few problems with some fires but all in all it wasn’t a big deal. I’ve felt plenty in the Bay Area and Truckee area. They get your attention.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:40:09 PM by Awatsjr »

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 11:16:57 AM »
The disturbance was probably just two dragons fighting in an underground lake.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 11:34:27 PM »
Just felt a nice 6.9/7.1 in Paso. Sweet!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:56:53 PM by Awatsjr »

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 11:39:34 PM »
7.1 Aftershock. Phone was in airplane mode so I don’t know if they sent an alert

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 11:41:37 PM »
7.1 Aftershock. Phone was in airplane mode so I don’t know if they sent an alert

Yeah, getting some smaller ones too. We about 170 miles away from Ridgecrest. It must be tough for the people there.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:52:02 PM by Awatsjr »

Offline CarbShark

Earthquakes
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 12:34:15 AM »

We’re at the ballet. The chandeliers at the Dorothy Chandler were swinging.

But the show must go on!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:44:10 AM by CarbShark »

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2019, 02:39:02 AM »
I'm about 150 miles from the epicenter but didn't notice it. I'm from Alaska, so I've got a high shaking threshold. Hope everyone is safe out in CA.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
Is it typically broken gas infrastructure that leads to fires after earthquakes, or is electricity similarly likely to cause fires?

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 11:06:48 AM »
I'm about 150 miles from the epicenter but didn't notice it. I'm from Alaska, so I've got a high shaking threshold. Hope everyone is safe out in CA.

There have been many times where I am moving around and don’t notice them. Even with the 7.1 I might not have noticed if I was walking around. We are feeling a lot of the 3+ aftershocks.

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 11:21:05 AM »
Is it typically broken gas infrastructure that leads to fires after earthquakes, or is electricity similarly likely to cause fires?

Generally yes. Downed pwer lines starting fires and some fueled by propane and natural gas. Then just falling stuff.

Now that yesterday’s quake is considered the primary due to it being bigger, we are wondering if one is about to top it. Hope not!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
Would that make yesterday's quake a beforeshock, where rumbles now are aftershocks?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Awatsjr

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 06:47:50 PM »
I learned yesterday listening to Lucy Jones that when a large quake follows a smaller quake, the larger one becomes the primary. I think the window is like a week but I am not sure. If an even bigger one comes that moves up to primary, the prior afters become pre and we all panic. 

In that order!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 06:50:51 PM by Awatsjr »

personate-rain