Author Topic: Beyond Burger 2.0  (Read 703 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
Beyond Burger 2.0
« on: July 05, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »
Tried it and it was meh.   Compared to the impossible burger it had a better texture and mouthfeel but a worse flavor.  I could definitely taste the peas (a sentence you have to say carefully)
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: Beyond Burger 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »
I'm looking for fake pasta made from meat.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 03:10:27 PM »
Tried it and it was meh.   Compared to the impossible burger it had a better texture and mouthfeel but a worse flavor.  I could definitely taste the peas (a sentence you have to say carefully)
So it had that pea-ness flavor? I’ll pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 03:27:26 PM »
I sell the Beyond sausage bratwurst. I think they taste great. I have fooled several friends by not telling them its not meat and they are rarely able to guess. I do not taste peas, I didn't think the burgers tasted like peas either but I don't like them as much.

I like mine with sauerkraut. Some of my customers order them with bacon and one tops hers with pulled pork  >:D

Edit, I also tried the taco meat and thought it sucked, It has an artificial texture.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 03:29:11 PM »
I have tried the sausage too, I think it's better.  It wouldn't fool me in a taste test but it might fool me in the absence of somethign to compare it to.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »
I had a Beyond Meat burger from Carl's Jr. and it was like an average medium-rare burger patty.  If we price in environmental externalities, make beef expensive, I can see this type of veggie burger becoming a standard ersatz good. 

And I'm not the only one:

As I understand it, there's a lot of money betting that Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods will be the Coke and Pepsi of meat-free meat.

Looking forward to trying an Impossible Burger one of these days.

As an aside, there's a bunch of different kinds of veggie burgers out there and some of them delicious.

Best I've ever had:

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
Where do I get that.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 07:45:16 PM »
When I lived in Mexico I went to a vegetarian restaurant on a few occasions. Their fake meat tasted way too much like meat. It was horrid because it did taste like meat. However, I often cooked beans, mashed them up in a blender, added some flour and corn masa to hold it all together, then cooked it like burgers. Absolutely nothing at all like meat except that you could eat it in a hamburger bun. It was delicious because it was beans and it tasted like beans. (I made my beans medium spicy: Lots of flavorings and a moderate amount of chili pepper.)

No fake meat for me. (Obviously, no actual meat either. Or lab-grown meat.) But I do love beans with home-made 100% whole-grain bread. (Nothing against store bread, except that it has too much sodium for my blood pressure and it doesn't taste as good.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 05:20:27 AM »
The EU has decided that fake meat cannot be labeled as "burger", "sausage", "bacon", etc.  The discussion continues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p028z2z0/episodes/downloads

It will become evident before long that pretend meats are not environmentally as sustainable as well raised livestock and that these products are not as nutritious as actual flesh and organs.  If it tastes "just like bacon", then it is bacon.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »
Woah.  Somebody has got a message to flog.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 10:25:32 PM »
As you can surmise, lonely moa has a "sacred cow" regarding carno diet.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 05:29:21 AM »
The nutrients in actual meat are myriad and human metabolism makes the best of them.  Artificial "meat", even with added micronutrients will not come to the party for fuelling the human body.  Just an also ran, IMHO.  Why choose second best?
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online stands2reason

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »
https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018939274-What-are-the-nutrition-facts-

In 2019, we debuted a new Impossible Burger -- and it’s tastier, juicier, and better than ever.  Here’s the ingredient list:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Online stands2reason

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
I like tofu and pretty much any kind of soy product, so I would probably like one of these.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 05:49:42 PM »
I tried their hot italian sausage and hot damn, this is exactly like an average italian sausage.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

personate-rain