Author Topic: Beyond Burger 2.0  (Read 1092 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Beyond Burger 2.0
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 06:16:14 PM »

Crickey, they tasted just like lamb chops!
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »
And in 20 years, that'll cost $500!
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 09:18:36 PM »

Lamb is currently NZ$8 /kg on the hook... makes those chops about $5, US$3.50.  If a bag of chops like that rises to US$500, I'll be growing more of them.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
I've had the fast food version, its at least as good as a regular burger from  Carls Jr/Hardy's.  The Del Taco next to my work advertises impossible tacos, I'm going to have to give that a try. 

Sausage seems a natural for the fake meat industry.  Ground up, spiced up, encased, and cooked well done.  It should be much easier to match in flavor and texture than even burgers.  Soyrizo fried with eggs is basically indistinguishable from the real thing already. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:43:37 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »

Lamb is currently NZ$8 /kg on the hook... makes those chops about $5, US$3.50.  If a bag of chops like that rises to US$500, I'll be growing more of them.

Lamb chops are more like $12-16 per pound in the US

Please grow more!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:37:29 AM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 03:19:22 AM »

Please grow more!

Tell your bloody president to lift the import restrictions on beef and lamb, please.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »

Please grow more!

Tell your bloody president to lift the import restrictions on beef and lamb, please.

I would but I doubt its a priority, We would grow more of them ourselves but Americans don't like lamb that much and its too bad. Probably because most people cant cook them properly. I think we have the Beef industry covered though. We have a caterer on set who makes the best grilled lambchops, They always have so many extra because people are too afraid to eat them. I get to take a bunch home

Its my understanding that your lambs are smaller and more "lamby" tasting.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »

Please grow more!

I would but I doubt its a priority, We would grow more of them ourselves but Americans don't like lamb that much and its too bad. Probably because most people cant cook them properly. I think we have the Beef industry covered though. We have a caterer on set who makes the best grilled lambchops, They always have so many extra because people are too afraid to eat them. I get to take a bunch home

Its my understanding that your lambs are smaller and more "lamby" tasting.

Annually, 213,402 tonnes (product weight) of New Zealand beef and veal can be exported to the United States – most at a tariff rate of US4.4c/kg./quote]

We fill that quota annually.

Lambs are generally 18-20 kg on the hook here.  The US is our largest export market, something like 16,000 tonnes last year.

My lambs actually tastes exactly like yummy lamb.  Since we only grow a few for our own consumption (unlike cattle), they are pretty easy to raise.  We buy in mismothered  stock, feed them for a few weeks on cow's milk we get from an AK dairy neighbour and after that they just take care of themselves.  There aren't any ovis parasites so they are "chemical free".

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 02:29:28 PM »
I tried the white castle incarnation of the impossible burger and it was pretty similar to my first encounter at a much more expensive fancy resturaunt.

It tastes like a really weird cheap hamburger.  I would never ever confuse it for real hamburgers in a side by side comparison.  If you told me it was real meat though, I would wonder WTF did you to this while you were cooking it, but I might believe that it was real meat.

At the end of the day, I prefer the morningstar burgers that have been on the market for years to the overhyped silicon valley ones.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »
Yeah, the one I had from Carl's Jr. left a middling impression.

But I just cooked a couple myself and they were substantially better than the fast food one I got

Didn't have buns so it was just
  • American Cheese
  • Beyond Meat burger patty
  • Pickles (Bread and Butter)
  • Spicy Ketchup
  • Wheat Bread (lightly toasted)
Cooked up in a skillet.  Ate it like an open-faced sandwich with a knife and fork.  It was genuinely good.  I'm hoping it takes off and we get some Economies of Scale going here.  The hot italian sausage was $8 for 4 and the patties were, iirc, ~$6.50 for 2.  If the price comes down enough, I could finally go vegetarian.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 05:35:25 PM »
yea that price is high, The brats are the highest solo item my menu, I cant find them any cheaper than the grocery store.  Publix has them for $8 but are usually sold out, Whole foods has them in quantity but they are around $9- $9.50.

The food service location I purchase from just started selling the burgers but the buyer claims Beyond has trouble with distribution and they are not consistent.  He said he will try to locate the brats for me but is not sure if its viable yet or not.

A few local restaurants are selling them, I might try asking those kitchen managers if they have a decent distributor.

I'm curious if the burgers taste bad at Carl's and WC because they are over cooking them like they do the beef burgers (and babyfood pattys at WC).

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 08:00:18 PM »
Saving money on refrigeration .  Min you, we do front up for a few cents a month to power the electric fences.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 09:25:11 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what are "brats"? It's not a term I've encountered before in the context of food. Only in the context of my neighbour's children.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but what are "brats"? It's not a term I've encountered before in the context of food. Only in the context of my neighbour's children.

that's what he meant.   Why do you think we need vegan brats?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline st3class

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »

Bratwurst

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst
It's always more complicated than that.

personate-rain