Author Topic: Beyond Burger 2.0  (Read 10100 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Burger 2.0
« Reply #525 on: January 26, 2020, 07:55:50 PM »
Apologies for the double post

Well, how about also apologizing for a content-free comment?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 10, 2020, 01:09:40 AM »
I tried KFC Beyond fried chicken while driving through NC

The FAQs
https://www.kfc.com/beyond

I was amazed. the texture was more like chicken than MCDs chicken nuggets.

The flavor was spot on. It is prepared in the same fryer as the chicken which they are clear about on their website. I was blown away, it was tender and juicy.

I give it a 9/10 only because they have not figured out how to make plant based bones yet.  >:D  I would certainly be willing to eat this in place of the chicken

IS BEYOND FRIED CHICKEN VEGAN OR VEGETARIAN?
Beyond Fried Chicken is not vegetarian, vegan, or Certified Vegan. Beyond Fried Chicken nuggets and wings are 100% plant-based, but they are prepared in the same fryers as our world-famous Kentucky Fried Chicken, which may not be acceptable to certain types of vegetarian or vegan diets.

I also went to White Castle on this trip (Georgia only has Crystal which is similar) and tried back to back classic and beyond sliders

They both tasted like complete shit but the beyond shit was worse, perhaps I should have smoked a bowl first I mite have had a better experience.

The Beyond was grey and mushy, Ok so was the classic but the Beyond was thicker which made it more mushy. The one thing I can say positive about the classic was that it had a decent grilled onion flavor that the Beyond did not have (neither do Crystals so the the Classic wins out of all three)

White Castle sliders
Classic Beef (I think) 3/10
Beyond 1/10

Before I left town I tried the Hardee's Beyond burger and it was very good, not mind blowing like the chicken but much better than the Burger King Impossible. Both are equal comparisons in taste to the burgers they are trying to mimic

Hardees Beyond 6/10 (same rating as the Thickburger)

BK Beyond 5/10 (same rating as the Whopper)

Keep in mind my ratings for plant based burgers are on the fast food scale, the thicker ones cooked by the fast casual and higher end burger joints are usually much better where you get that imitation medium rare center and properly seasoned food. 

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 10, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
MAde an impossible burger from the "ground beef", and it was much better than what I had from a restaurant, but still pretty bland. 
I still think impossible burger crosses the uncanny valley in that it does believably taste like a real burger, just not a very good burger.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 10, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
I tried KFC Beyond fried chicken while driving through NC

The FAQs
https://www.kfc.com/beyond

I was amazed. the texture was more like chicken than MCDs chicken nuggets.

The flavor was spot on. It is prepared in the same fryer as the chicken which they are clear about on their website. I was blown away, it was tender and juicy.

I give it a 9/10 only because they have not figured out how to make plant based bones yet.  >:D  I would certainly be willing to eat this in place of the chicken

IS BEYOND FRIED CHICKEN VEGAN OR VEGETARIAN?
Beyond Fried Chicken is not vegetarian, vegan, or Certified Vegan. Beyond Fried Chicken nuggets and wings are 100% plant-based, but they are prepared in the same fryers as our world-famous Kentucky Fried Chicken, which may not be acceptable to certain types of vegetarian or vegan diets.

I also went to White Castle on this trip (Georgia only has Crystal which is similar) and tried back to back classic and beyond sliders

They both tasted like complete shit but the beyond shit was worse, perhaps I should have smoked a bowl first I mite have had a better experience.

The Beyond was grey and mushy, Ok so was the classic but the Beyond was thicker which made it more mushy. The one thing I can say positive about the classic was that it had a decent grilled onion flavor that the Beyond did not have (neither do Crystals so the the Classic wins out of all three)

White Castle sliders
Classic Beef (I think) 3/10
Beyond 1/10

Before I left town I tried the Hardee's Beyond burger and it was very good, not mind blowing like the chicken but much better than the Burger King Impossible. Both are equal comparisons in taste to the burgers they are trying to mimic

Hardees Beyond 6/10 (same rating as the Thickburger)

BK Beyond 5/10 (same rating as the Whopper)

Keep in mind my ratings for plant based burgers are on the fast food scale, the thicker ones cooked by the fast casual and higher end burger joints are usually much better where you get that imitation medium rare center and properly seasoned food.
Oh interesting, I can't even remember the last time I walked onto a KFC property and I probably won't run out to try one, but I'm glad to hear it's not terrible. I wonder if they'll eventually try a separate frier, kinda seems to defeat the purpose.
Anyway, White Castle was not a bullet anyone was expecting you take for the team.  :laugh: Brave though.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 10, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »
I'd imagine that cooking the fake chicken in the same fryer would explain why it tastes the same as chicken. It's good that they say this up front. I would certainly not consider it vegetarian unless the fryer is thoroughly cleaned and fresh oil is used.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Captain Video

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 10, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
I'd imagine that cooking the fake chicken in the same fryer would explain why it tastes the same as chicken. It's good that they say this up front. I would certainly not consider it vegetarian unless the fryer is thoroughly cleaned and fresh oil is used.

This would probably have way too much salt in the seasoning for your liking.

I do think the product is encouraging because the texture was pretty close to moist chicken, much more so than the burgers. As a cook if you give me moist chicken I can do many things with it then take it to the next level  They could invent a bland non chicken flavored version and the texture would be much better than tofu (in my opinion) Its still not going to do what chicken can do in a pan, as I mentioned before, no bones and certainly no skin, but it is a good start.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 11, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »

I know a lot of vegans/vegetarians feel this way, and it's certainly valid, but if the goal is to reduce the number of animals killed, cooking both the vegetarian and real chicken in the same place still helps further the goal.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 11, 2020, 11:31:01 AM »

This would probably have way too much salt in the seasoning for your liking.

I do think the product is encouraging because the texture was pretty close to moist chicken, much more so than the burgers. As a cook if you give me moist chicken I can do many things with it then take it to the next level  They could invent a bland non chicken flavored version and the texture would be much better than tofu (in my opinion) Its still not going to do what chicken can do in a pan, as I mentioned before, no bones and certainly no skin, but it is a good start.

I find the texture of raw tofu to be very unpleasant, which is why I don't care for quickly-stir-fried tofu, which browns the outside but leaves the inside raw. I feel the same way about broccoli and cauliflower, which I love cooked but not raw. I cook my tofu thoroughly, which changes the texture entirely. Nothing at all like meat, of course. One of the things I like about tofu and beans is that they provide excellent protein (when combined with whole grains) but are nothing at all like meat in either taste or texture.

My favorite way to cook tofu is to start with extra-firm, and cut it into small chunks and put it in a skillet with oil and just a little water and whatever spices. I used to use soy sauce before I had to cut back on sodium. It tastes much better with soy sauce, but my health is more important. I cook it on high heat, stirring constantly to prevent the chunks from sticking together. Once all the water is gone I lower the heat and keep cooking until it's golden brown, still stirring constantly and scraping the skillet so it does not stick. I cook the onions separately because the tofu doesn't seem to brown as well if they're fried together. I think maybe because the tofu has to be very dry to brown but the onions would just burn if they were that dry.

Often I serve that with brown rice but sometimes I just eat it with 100% whole-wheat bread (which I bake myself) and sometimes I have it with potatoes that I cook first and then chop and fry with the tofu at the very end when the tofu is almost done.

Cooked this way tofu is one of my favorite foods. Cooked in the Asian style it's one of my least favorites.

I know a lot of vegans/vegetarians feel this way, and it's certainly valid, but if the goal is to reduce the number of animals killed, cooking both the vegetarian and real chicken in the same place still helps further the goal.

That's a valid point. If you eat meat and you want to reduce the number of animals killed by eating an occasional meatless meal, then that makes sense. But even fewer animals are killed if you never have anything to do with meat. If everyone was a strict vegan (which I am not, just to be honest) no animals would be killed other than those considered pests. No animals would be raised for the purpose of killing them.

I don't fault them for using the same fryer for both. And in fact I praise them for being up-front about it. And I don't eat fake meat anyway. But I would still not eat fake meat prepared that way because it has some part of the killed animal in it. If you eat a bologna sandwich with one slice of meat and one slice of fake meat, you are reducing the amount of killing compared to two slices of meat. But I'm not going to eat it because it still has meat in it. And that's how I see fake meat cooked in oil that was previously used to cook meat: It still has meat product in it.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Captain Video

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 11, 2020, 12:35:55 PM »
They are only doing it in one test market right now in NC, they cook in pressure fryers so getting a second fryer would be expensive for a test, it could possibly include a whole kitchen redesign. Im sure if it bevomes more popular they will do this.

Mcdonalds has 2 different fryers because the old frys were cooked in beef tallow but the fish, hashbrowns, chicken, and pies were not. Now they use artificial beef flavoring on the frys after a vegetarian outcry in the 90s but I think they still maintain this practice so the frys are not cooked with meat.

actually now that i think about it we had 3 different fryer types, the grease was the same non tallow in two of them, hash browns and pies were cooked in one, fish and chicken in another, frys in the third. I sure miss those fried pies.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:40:41 PM by Captain Video »

Offline Captain Video

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 11, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
https://schmedium.org/2020/02/10/introducing-beyond-broccoli-made-from-100-real-pork/?fbclid=IwAR16BdRg3-xPAV36WvVyue5Obew9a25ejBJ1GV0tVM2CNLPCLaFIAD_s2FQ

Introducing Beyond Broccoli, Made from 100% Real Pork
Have a craving for a food with the disgusting taste and texture of broccoli but the nutritional value of bacon? Well say hello to Beyond Broccoli, the only vegetable made from 100% real pork!

“Every one of our pigs is fed a diet consisting entirely of wholesome, organic broccoli,” said company spokesman Brad Weimaraner. “So each bite of its flesh tastes like a crisp, delicious floret picked fresh from the vine, or whatever it is that broccoli grows on.”

Weimaraner says Beyond Broccoli is currently available in bacon, pork chop, and ham varieties. But they’re considering adding kielbasa and Canadian bacon options to break into the international market.

“Consumers will no longer have to worry about getting enough pork in their diets,” he said. “All the health benefits of an entire pork shoulder are now available in a single head of broccoli.”

At press time, the company announced the upcoming release of Impossible Carrots, made from 100% grass-fed beef liver.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #535 on: February 11, 2020, 05:12:35 PM »
One of the things I like about tofu and beans is that they provide excellent protein (when combined with whole grains) but are nothing at all like meat in either taste or texture.

This business of having to combine beans with grains to form a "complete" protein is a myth.  Protein malnutrition is virtually unknown, except in combination with calorie malnutrition.  In other words, no matter what your diet is, if you are consuming enough calories, you are also consuming enough protein and essential amino acids.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 11, 2020, 05:50:13 PM »
One of the things I like about tofu and beans is that they provide excellent protein (when combined with whole grains) but are nothing at all like meat in either taste or texture.

This business of having to combine beans with grains to form a "complete" protein is a myth.  Protein malnutrition is virtually unknown, except in combination with calorie malnutrition.  In other words, no matter what your diet is, if you are consuming enough calories, you are also consuming enough protein and essential amino acids.

Essentially true, but kwashiorkor (which is very rare in developed countries) is due to protein and amino acid deficiency in diets that contain sufficient calories, unlike marasmus (which is due to deficient calorie and protein intake):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

But agreed.  It's not necessary to combine beans and grains at the same meal to get an adequate diet with regard to essential amino acids.  It's sufficient if adequate essential amino acids are consumed over the short term of a day.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero twice, but not this time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 11, 2020, 06:29:37 PM »

But agreed.  It's not necessary to combine beans and grains at the same meal to get an adequate diet with regard to essential amino acids.  It's sufficient if adequate essential amino acids are consumed over the short term of a day.

Amend and resubmit.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #538 on: February 11, 2020, 07:29:04 PM »

Essentially true, but kwashiorkor (which is very rare in developed countries) is due to protein and amino acid deficiency in diets that contain sufficient calories, unlike marasmus (which is due to deficient calorie and protein intake):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

It isn't even necessary to eat grains and beans at different times of the day.  The idea that vegetable proteins aren't "whole" is a myth.  Soy, by the way, has a protein quality score almost equal to beef.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 11, 2020, 07:47:33 PM »

Diet for a Small Planet said we needed to eat legumes and grains together in the same meal. Later (but still decades ago) information said it is not necessary to eat them in the same meal.

Are you saying that a diet containing no animal products and no legumes at all has enough protein? Or are you merely saying that they don't need to be eaten together? (Which I already knew.)

It won't affect me one way or another. I love both beans and whole grains and have no intention of giving up either. As a purely gastronomic thing, I like my beans with grains, whether that be bread, rice, or pasta (but always 100% whole grain). Occasionally I'll eat my beans with potatoes, but a day almost never goes by when I don't eat grains also.

And my actual point was that I don't want my protein to have either the taste or the texture of meat. It is an advantage of beans and tofu and grains that they don't taste like meat or have the texture of meat.

FWIW, when I quit eating meat the majority opinion in the U.S. (and in my family) was that you cannot be healthy without eating meat. My mother, who was a very intelligent woman, thought that I'd damage my health by becoming vegetarian. (Not even vegan, just ovo-lacto-vegetarian.) It was a very different time. In my whole family, only my sister (who was already into Hindu-flavored woo) and my step-grandmother didn't freak out when I quit eating meat. If the meat industry were to shut down today, in six months everybody would wonder why they thought they couldn't get by without it. As has been pointed out, fake meat, other than the old-fashioned TVP, is probably more unhealthy than meat. Beans and whole grains (whether you need both or not) are healthy and nutritious and delicious. I'm not going to tell anybody not to eat meat, because what would be the point? But I will say that if you've decided for yourself to stop or reduce your meat consumption, the fuck with eating fake anything: have some delicious nutritions beans and whole grains.
-- Greta Thunberg