Author Topic: Beyond Burger 2.0  (Read 10102 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Burger 2.0
« Reply #540 on: February 11, 2020, 07:52:51 PM »
It isn't even necessary to eat grains and beans at different times of the day.  The idea that vegetable proteins aren't "whole" is a myth.  Soy, by the way, has a protein quality score almost equal to beef.

I was under the impression that grains are deficient in lysine, and that beans, while high in lysine, were deficient in something else. Eat both (even if at different times) and you get closer to the ideal ratio of amino acids, that being the ratio the body utilizes.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 11, 2020, 08:27:40 PM »
It isn't even necessary to eat grains and beans at different times of the day.  The idea that vegetable proteins aren't "whole" is a myth.  Soy, by the way, has a protein quality score almost equal to beef.

I was under the impression that grains are deficient in lysine, and that beans, while high in lysine, were deficient in something else. Eat both (even if at different times) and you get closer to the ideal ratio of amino acids, that being the ratio the body utilizes.

Well, you don't need an ’ideal ratio of amino acids.’  You just need adequate protein, and an adequate minimum quantity of each of the essential amino acids.  If you're consuming excess quantities of one or more essential amino acids compared to other essential amino acids, then the excess will be just ’burned’ for energy, and not incorporated into body protein.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #542 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »

Well, you don't need an ’ideal ratio of amino acids.’  You just need adequate protein, and an adequate minimum quantity of each of the essential amino acids.  If you're consuming excess quantities of one or more essential amino acids compared to other essential amino acids, then the excess will be just ’burned’ for energy, and not incorporated into body protein.

Right.  And, in practice, if your total calorie intake is sufficient, then your total protein intake as well as your intake of every essential amino acid will be sufficient, regardless of the composition of your diet.  So vegetarians don't have to worry about protein intake or amino acid ratios.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2020, 08:53:41 PM »
One of the things I like about tofu and beans is that they provide excellent protein (when combined with whole grains) but are nothing at all like meat in either taste or texture.

This business of having to combine beans with grains to form a "complete" protein is a myth.  Protein malnutrition is virtually unknown, except in combination with calorie malnutrition.  In other words, no matter what your diet is, if you are consuming enough calories, you are also consuming enough protein and essential amino acids.

Diet for a Small Planet said we needed to eat legumes and grains together in the same meal.

My understanding is that book, written (as usual) by an author with no background in nutrition, started the myth.

Are you saying that a diet containing no animal products and no legumes at all has enough protein?

Not only enough protein, but enough of every essential amino acid.  If you ate nothing but bread, as long as you were eating enough of it to meet your daily energy requirements, you'd get enough protein and essential amino acids. 

FWIW, when I quit eating meat the majority opinion in the U.S. (and in my family) was that you cannot be healthy without eating meat. My mother, who was a very intelligent woman, thought that I'd damage my health by becoming vegetarian. (Not even vegan, just ovo-lacto-vegetarian.)

It was exactly the same for me.  I was a vegetarian for 20 years, beginning at age 14.  Everybody thought I wouldn't get enough protein.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2020, 11:55:10 PM »
Honestly after all that I'm about to start a diet.  Actually I "started" it before the trip but suspended it for the last minute work/vacation  >:D

What I am seeing is that the plant based meat is now something I need to avoid.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #545 on: February 12, 2020, 02:51:24 AM »

Why do you think that?

Offline Captain Video

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 12, 2020, 03:10:21 AM »

Why do you think that?

it appears to have too many calories and too much fat, the fast food versions even more so. Same with real burgers. I don't know for sure yet i'm just trying to grasp how to build a diet that will work for me.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 12, 2020, 03:18:00 AM »
"I became a vegetarian and only the planet got healthier."
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 12, 2020, 04:39:56 AM »
Too much demand for quarters of our home killed steers.  Some missed out tis round.  Bummer, but we were first in line... got all the good bits, liver, kidney, heart, tounge cheeks and tail... yum.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 12, 2020, 06:11:55 AM »
Too much demand for quarters of our home killed steers.  Some missed out tis round.  Bummer, but we were first in line... got all the good bits, liver, kidney, heart, tounge cheeks and tail... yum.

Spillover.  Also meat eating seems to have caused your spelling to deteriorate.  What exactly is ’tounge?’
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 12, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »

You are fortunate in that you prefer the parts that nobody else wants.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 12, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »

Spillover.  Also meat eating seems to have caused your spelling to deteriorate.  What exactly is ’tounge?’

You are more pedantic than my (editor) wife.  Grammar (and spelling) Nazis are entirely too tedious to endure sometimes.

Offline Captain Video

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 12, 2020, 12:26:40 PM »

You are more pedantic than my (editor) wife.  Grammar (and spelling) Nazis are entirely too tedious to endure sometimes.

Glad you are doing well with your steers. Why dont you start a "meat thread" I would be happy to join you there too. I wonder if the vegans will invade it and start talking off topic about their vegetable garden harvest.  LOL >:D 

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 12, 2020, 01:19:34 PM »
In case you've missed it the last 50 times you've been told, it's fucking obnoxious when you come into every thread about plant based diets to only brag about your meat-eating and slaughtering. And they say vegans are obnoxious...  ::)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 12, 2020, 07:36:25 PM »
In case you've missed it the last 50 times you've been told, it's fucking obnoxious when you come into every thread about plant based diets to only brag about your meat-eating and slaughtering. And they say vegans are obnoxious...  ::)

Vegans are obnoxious.  And as some like Lierre Kieth found, dangerous.